American Planning Association
North Carolina Chapter
This year’s conference is located at the Wilmington Convention Center. For more details on the convention center, please visit www.businessmadecasual.com.
Official Conference Hotel
A block of rooms for conference attendees is being held at the Embassy Suites Wilmington Riverfront with special rates for our conference for the nights of Tuesday, October 8 through October 10. The group rates range from $179-$199 plus applicable taxes.
Conference attendees can reserve rooms by clicking on https://group.embassysuites.com/AmericanPlanningAssociationNCChapter. The cut-off date to make reservations at the Embassy Suites is Sunday, September 8, 2019 or until the room block is sold out. Based on prior conferences we know the room blocks sell out fast, so don’t wait to book your room!
Conference Location Information & Links
For more information on Wilmington and the surrounding communities, please visit the following links: www.wilmingtonnc.gov, www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com, www.nhcgov.com, www.townofwrightsvillebeach.com, www.carolinabeach.org, www.townofkurebeach.org, www.brunswickcountync.gov, www.capefearcog.org, www.pendercountync.gov, www.townofleland.com
Sponsors & Exhibitors
- Speakers must register for the conference unless they only attend the session in which they are participating and will not be attending other conference functions. No speaker discounts are available.
- All speakers who will attend sessions other than their own and conference events MUST pay regular registration fees.
- Proposer/Organizer of the session is required to be present as a Speaker or Moderator of the session they proposed.
- Most session rooms will be in a classroom format. Additional set-ups can be requested but are not guaranteed.
- Speakers will be provided with a laptop, laptop podium, wired microphone, screen, projector, presentation remote, and presenter table with four chairs (no additional microphones on the presenter table) in each of the session rooms. Additional equipment can be requested but is not guaranteed.
- All General Sessions are scheduled in 75 minute increments.
- Complete Lightning Round Sessions may have up to 4 mini-presentations that are assembled into a combined session of 75 minutes (15 minutes per topic, 1 speaker per topic).
- We CANNOT guarantee specific dates and time slots if your session/mobile is selected. the Conference Committee reserves the right to schedule sessions on any available date/time in the conference program. Session organizers will have the opportunity to accept or decline their assigned time slot.
- Kara M. Louise will be coordinating all sessions and is the primary contact for the conference. Proposers should communicate directly with Kara via our session proposal platform Submittable using the Messages tool.
- When will the conference online pre-registration be available?
Conference registration typically goes live the first week of July. If possible, we will try to open registration earlier. An eblast will go out to our listserv announcing when registration is officially open.
- When will conference online pre-registration end?
Conference pre-registration will end on September 20, 2019.
- Can I register for the conference after online pre-registration ends?
No, after September 20 all registrations must be done onsite. Keep in mind that onsite registration rates are higher than pre-registration rates.
- What are the 2019 pre-registration and onsite fees?
Full Conference (Pre-Registration) – Member……….$314
Full Conference (Pre-Registration) – Nonmember….$354
Full Conference (Onsite) – Member…………………..$364
Full Conference (Onsite) – Nonmember……………..$404
Full Conference (Citizen Board/Life/Retired)………..$244
Tuesday Only & Friday Only…………………………..$75
Wednesday Only & Thursday Only…………………..$214
- How do I register for the conference?
Attendees will be able to register for the conference electronically through APA. A link to the site will be available when registration is open. Individuals will need to log-in to their APA account to register or create a free APA account.
For those individuals who had to cancel their attendance to last year’s conference in Winston-Salem due to the hurricane, the APA-NC Executive Committee is offering a 50% discount off of the above registration fees. Steps to receive the discounted rate will be posted on our conference website as soon as pre-registration goes live.
- Do I need to be a member of APA or APA-NC to register?
No, you do not need to be a member of either organization. Although, if you select the Full Conference Non-Member registration rate, you will automatically be enrolled as an APA-NC member for 1 full year. You will also need to create a free account on APA in order to register for the conference.
- Do you allow changes and cancellations to registrations?
Changes and cancellations must be received via email by September 20, 2019. No exceptions! Emails can be sent to email@example.com. There is a $25 processing fee for each change and a $30 processing fee for each cancellation.
- Do you accept paper registrations or payments via check/purchase order?
If you would like to fill out a paper registration or pay using a check or purchase order, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can multiple people register using the same APA online account?
No, our registration system does not have that capability at this time. If you would like to send in a single payment for multiple registrants please send an email to email@example.com.
- Who do I contact if I’m having problems with my APA online registration account?
Please contact APA at the email list on the registration site.
- Do Students receive a discounted rate?
Students with a valid ID receive a discounted registration rate. The Student registration rate does not include Tuesday night’s Exhibitor and Sponsor Meet & Greet Reception or the Wednesday night Welcome Reception. Students are able to attend the conference sessions but must pay for mobiles and other activities that require additional payment. We do not offer free conference registration for those students who like to volunteer at the conference.
- What types of payments do you accept at Onsite Registration?
We accept cash, check and credit cards.
- Can I register for Mobile Workshops and other activities at Onsite Registration?
Yes, if spots are still available.