American Planning Association
North Carolina Chapter
2020 North Carolina Planning Conference
October 20-23 Durham Convention Center 301 W Morgan St
Join your colleagues and head to the 2020 North Carolina Planning Conference in Durham! This year’s conference is scheduled for October 20-23 and will be held at the Durham Convention Center located in central downtown Durham. The Durham Marriott City Center will serve as our conference hotel and is connected to the convention center. The Durham Convention Center and Marriot hotel are steps away from Durham’s vibrant bar and restaurant scene. The focus for this year’s conference is Embracing Equity. As planners we know our profession has had many lasting impacts on the communities we serve, and our most vulnerable have not always been best served by our plans and actions. As we reflect on past impacts, we embrace planning alongside our communities to ensure equitable outcomes, particularly for the most vulnerable. To that end the Conference Committee is working hard to build an agenda to empower participants and supply them with fresh ideas to take back to their communities. This year’s Conference will feature concurrent sessions, lightning rounds, networking opportunities, vendor displays, and mobile workshops highlighting Durham and the surrounding communities. The Conference will kick-off Tuesday night with an Exhibitor and Sponsor Meet & Greet Reception followed by a dynamic Opening Session on Wednesday morning. Wednesday evening the conference committee will host a Welcome Reception and we will wrap-up Friday afternoon with a special networking lunch event. The 2020 Conference Committee is planning much more so be sure to join us for what promises to be a dynamic, informative, and exciting conference!
Call for Session Proposals Now Open! To submit a session proposal, please visit https://apa-nc.submittable.com/submit. Don’t forget to review the Conference Speaker Guidelines!
If you have any questions about the Call for Session Proposals, or other questions that are not answered in the FAQs below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where will the 2020 North Carolina Planning Conference take place? This year’s conference is located at the Durham Convention Center. For more details on the convention center, please visit https://www.durhamconventioncenter.com/.
Official Conference Hotel
Is there an official hotel for the conference? The link to the conference hotel and our special conference room rates will be available in May.
Conference Location Information & Links
Where can I find more information on Durham and the surrounding communities? For more information on Durham and the surrounding communities, please visit the following links: Discover Durham (Convention & Visitors Bureau) – https://www.discoverdurham.com
City of Durham – https://durhamnc.gov/
Durham County – https://www.dconc.gov/
Sponsors and Exhibitors
My company/organization is interested in sponsoring or exhibiting at this year’s conference, do you have any information available? More information on sponsoring and exhibiting at the 2020 North Carolina Planning Conference will be available on this webpage in May.
Conference Mobile App
Will there be a Conference Mobile App this year? New this year, APA-NC will be using a Conference Mobile App for the Program, Announcements, Information about Sponsors and Exhibitors, and Networking! Stay tuned to this webpage for more information about the app.
- When will the conference online pre-registration be available? Conference registration typically goes live the first week of July. If possible, we will try to open registration earlier. An eblast will go out to our listserv announcing when registration is officially open.
- When will conference online pre-registration end? Conference pre-registration will end September 21, 2020.
- Can I register for the conference after online pre-registration ends? No, after September 21 all registrations must be done onsite. Keep in mind that onsite registration rates are higher than pre-registration rates.
- What were the 2019 pre-registration fees? The 2019 pre-registration fees were: Full Conference (APA-NC Chapter Member) – $314, Full Conference (Non-Member) – $354, Full Conference (Citizen, Board, or Retired/Life APA Member) – $244, Full Conference (Student) – $75, Tuesday Only & Friday Only – $75 each day, Wednesday Only & Thursday Only – $249 each day
- Do you anticipate an increase in the fees for this year’s conference? Due to increasing costs, we anticipate there will be an increase in the conference registration rate for the 2020 NC Planning Conference. However, we are working to keep any increase in registration costs as low as possible.
- How do I register for the conference? Attendees will be able to register for the conference electronically. A link to the registration site will be available when registration is open.
- Do I need to be a member of APA or APA-NC to register? No, you do not need to be a member of either organization.
- Do you allow changes and cancellations to registrations? Changes and cancellations are usually permitted through the close of early registration. Note that there may be a fee for any cancellations or changes. More information will be available when registration opens.
- Do Students receive a discounted rate? Students with a valid ID receive a discounted registration rate. New this year, the Student registration rate includes entrance to all networking events, including the Exhibitor and Sponsor Meet & Greet Reception and the Welcome Reception. Students can attend the conference sessions but must pay for mobiles and other activities that require additional payment. We do not offer free conference registration for those students who like to volunteer at the conference. Please note that due to increasing costs associated with Students attending the networking events, the Student Registration rate will increase from the 2019 rate.
- What types of payments do you accept at Onsite Registration? We accept check and credit cards.