The APA-NC Fellowship Program was created to increase diversity in the planning profession by fostering increased interest among minority students and women in the field of urban planning. Towards this goal, APA-NC is offering a $2,000 Summer Fellowship for women and minority students pursuing graduate or undergraduate planning degrees or planning related degrees. The fellowship period is from June 1 – Aug 30. Applications are due by 5PM on Friday April 6, 2018.
The majority of Fellows’ work will be performed remotely, from a location of their choosing, as APA-NC does not maintain a permanent office space. Supervision and collaboration will primarily be done over phone/skype/email. There are two exceptions to this. In-person attendance is required for the fellow orientation and the 1-day APA-NC executive team retreat. Work will require use of a computer, a phone, and the internet, and the fellow must secure these on their own.
- To gain knowledge about the planning process.
- To gain knowledge of best planning practices.
- To build skills for effective communication (written, verbal, presentation) with local governments, state and federal agencies, and the citizens.
- Conduct policy research on a current topic as assigned, producing a final report (may include an evaluation of how municipalities and counties are handling this policy throughout the state, highlighting successes and opportunities, or how other states are addressing this policy or process).
- Assist with planning a NC Planning Conference Workshop
The $2,00 fellowship is available to graduate and undergraduate woman and minority students majoring in urban planning, urban design, urban studies, geography or public administration at an accredited university in North Carolina. The applicant should be a full-time student with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- To apply, eligible students should download the application linked here.
- To share this opportunity, you can download the flyer here.
For additional information contact:
Eliza Monroe – APA-NC Membership/Diversity Committee Co-Chair