Name of Employer: City of Fayetteville
Employer Website: www.fayettevillenc.gov
Job title: Assistant Development Services Director
Job Details / Description
Hiring Range: $68,353 – $87,883/Year D.O.Q.
The City of Fayetteville is seeking an experienced Assistant Development Services Director with outstanding leadership, customer service, communication, organizational, and presentation skills. This critical role plans, directs, manages and oversee the activities and operations of the Inspections division of the Development Services Department to include permitting, inspections (building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and housing), building plan review and code enforcement.
The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, forward-thinking leader highly skilled in customer service.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assist in the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area; interpret administrative policies.
- Assist in the planning, direction, and coordination, through subordinate level managers, of the work plan for inspections, permitting and code compliance.
- Assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate the work methods and procedures; meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures to assist the Director with allocating resources accordingly.
- Assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in service efficiencies and to streamline customer service, direct and implement changes.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate departmental personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies, implement discipline and separation procedures.
- Participate in the development and administration of the department’s budget; forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as necessary within authority.
- Work directly with the Building Official to direct field operations and delegate assignments; analyze Inspector assignment areas for efficient inspection services.
- Review permitting and building plan review processes and processes and make recommendations for improving efficiencies and enhancing service delivery.
- Explain, justify, and defend inspection, permitting and code enforcement programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Represent the Development Services department to other city departments, elected officials and outside agencies; coordinate inspections, permitting and code enforcement activities with other departments and outside agencies and organizations as needed.
- Ensures that the highest level of customer service is established and maintained by all departmental personnel.
- Provide staff assistance to the City Manager’s Office; participate on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; initiate, prepare and present staff reports
Job Candidate Qualifications
Key qualifications include:
- Minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in overseeing municipal, or similar, services, preferably in a regulatory and/or technical compliance environment with a high level of concentration in customer service, including 5 years of administrative and supervisory responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in construction management, construction technology, civil engineering, public administration or a related field; Master’s degree preferred is preferred.
- Proven experience in managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Proven experience in decision making regarding issues that are highly sensitive.
- Knowledge of operations, services and activities of municipal government.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices to analyze programs, policies, and operational needs.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of program development and administration.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Knowledge of the relationship between federal, state, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- High level of oral and written communication skills; excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
How to Apply
This position is open until October 20, 2017; however, the City of Fayetteville reserves the right to close the position at any time without notice.
A number of applicants may be selected to participate in the selection process which may consist of a written questionnaire and on-site assessment center. An official offer will be made after the selected candidate’s reference checks, background check, and academic verifications have been successfully completed.
Candidates meeting minimum qualifications may view a complete job description and submit an application and resume in confidence online by visiting: http://fayettevillenc.gov/jobs.