Name of Employer: City of Washington
Employer Website: www.washingtonnc.gov
Job title: Community and Cultural Resources Director
Job Details / Description
- Responsible for providing leadership and policy development, program planning, budget management, administration, and operational direction of the Planning, Inspections, Parks & Recreation, Waterfront Docks and Library Services functions.
- Plans and organizes project activities; establishes goals and objectives; recommends and administers policies and procedures; develops and recommends budget for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies and monitors expenditures.
- Provides management direction to code administration and planning units; interacts with the public on controversial issues and problem solves with staff
- Staff and consult with boards and committees on development issues in the City including, building inspections economic development, community appearance, and related issues.
- Serves as technical support to the Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, City Council, other City Departments and civic groups on planning, zoning, code enforcement and related matters
- Confers with engineers, developers, architects, a variety of agencies and the general public in obtaining information and coordinating planning and inspection matters
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates personnel in coordination with unit supervisors; establishes, reviews and evaluates performance expectations; provides or coordinates training; counsels employees and plans actions to correct performance deficiencies; takes appropriate disciplinary action as required
- Directs, coordinates and reviews amendments to the general comprehensive plan; provides plan and code enforcement interpretation
- Makes presentations to the City Council, Planning Board, Historic Preservation Commission, Downtown Washington Development Commission and other boards and commissions
- Conducts special studies; researches complex planning problems; prepares a variety of comprehensive reports
- Responds to and resolves difficult citizens’ inquiries and complaints
- Performs other related work as required
$70,146/$33.72/hr. – $105,219/$50.59
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university with a degree in Planning, Geography, or related field; or five (5) or more years of experience in city, county or regional planning with some responsibility for supervising staff; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Certified Municipal Administration
- Certified Zoning Official (CZO)
- Certified Floodplain Management
How to Apply
Visit our website at www.washingtonnc.gov/jobs fill out an application and submit via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), direct mail (102 East Second Street Washington, NC 27889), or fax (252-558-0515).