Community and Regional Planner – Hickory, NC | 4.5.18

Name of Employer: WPCOG

Employer Website: www.wpcog.org

Hickory, NC

Job title: Community and Regional Planner

Job Details / Description

The Community & Regional Planner provides professional urban and regional planning contract work for members of the COG. Work includes preparing comprehensive planning recommendations; conducting planning, water quality, land use, open space, and zoning studies; analyzing data, ordinances, laws and policies and developing recommendations, evaluating programs and preparing and presenting reports; and providing technical assistance to the local government members. The Community & Regional Planner will serve as the town planner for the City of Claremont, the Town of Catawba and the Town of Drexel and other planning projects for various local governments and the region. Work requires thorough knowledge of the planning field and independent judgment and initiative in the performance of duties.

  • City of Claremont is a fast growing community in Catawba County with a population of 1,426 and an established and growing industrial and manufacturing hub of the region.
  • Town of Catawba with a population of 606 has a beautiful downtown and ideas for growth.
  • Town of Drexel is a town with a strong manufacturing history that was recently awarded $500,000 to redevelop a large manufacturing site.

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is $46,470-$50,000 depending on qualifications and experience. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees’ Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.
  • The Western Piedmont Council of Governments will matches up to 1% of each employee’s salary to the employer sponsored 401k, 403b or 457 plan of their choosing (Board approved to begin approximately in 2018, WPCOG will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4% for a total of 8.2%).
  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee’s health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the H.S.A. are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.

WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:

  • Life Insurance – $100,000
  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment
  • Dental Insurance – Employee and Family
  • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)
  • Long-Term Disability

WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:

  • American Funds 403 (b) Retirement Plan
  • NC 457 Retirement Plan
  • NC 401(k) Plans
  • Local Government & State Employees’ Credit Union payroll deductions
  • Voluntary additional life insurance
  • WOCOG Provides for the following paid leave options:
  • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year
  • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale bases on years of service
  • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year
  • Longevity Pay

Job Candidate Qualifications

  • Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, engineering or related field required; Master’s degree and AICP a plus
  • Some experience in municipal, county or regional planning preferred but not required
  • Ability to communicate with general public, professional staff and elected/appointed officials in oral/written forms.
  • Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered

How to Apply

APPLICATION PROCESS:

Position is open until filled. Submit by April 20, 2018 for first consideration.

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Skills

Posted on

April 5, 2018

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X