Name of Employer: WPCOG
Employer Website: www.wpcog.org
Job title: Community and Regional Planner
Job Details / Description:
COMMUNITY & REGIONAL PLANNING DEPARTMENT:
The WPCOG Community & Regional Planning Department engages in various types of planning services for local governments and other partners in the Western Piedmont. Those services are organized into four divisions:
Community & Regional Planning
- Transportation Planning (d/b/a Greater Hickory MPO)
- Regional Data Center
- Natural Resources & Environmental Planning
On a contractual basis, planning staff advises local governments on current planning issues such as zoning, annexation, ordinance revisions and related land-use issues. The WPCOG serves as the town planner for ten (10) municipalities and provides planning project services for a number of other local governments. The department consists of nine (9) full-time positions providing a comprehensive set of services.
The Community & Regional Planner provides professional urban and regional planning contract work for members of the COG. Work includes preparing comprehensive planning recommendations; conducting planning, water quality, land use, open space, and zoning studies; analyzing data, ordinances, laws and policies and developing recommendations, evaluating programs and preparing and presenting reports; and providing technical assistance to the local government members. Work requires thorough knowledge of the planning field and independent judgment and initiative in the performance of duties.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The hiring range for this position is $47,641-$59,551 depending on qualifications and experience. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.
WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees’ Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.
- The Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes 4.2% of each employee’s salary to the employer sponsored 401k or 457 plan of their choosing. WPCOG will also match up to 4% of each employee’s salary for a total maximum contribution/match of 8.2%.
- WPCOG pays 100% of an employee’s health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the HSA are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.
- WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:
o Life Insurance – $100,000
o Accidental Death & Dismemberment
o Dental Insurance – Employee and Family
o Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)
o Long-Term Disability
- WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:
o NC 457 Plan
o NC 401(k) Plan
o Local Government & State Employees’ Credit Union payroll deductions
o Voluntary additional life insurance
- WPCOG Provides for the following paid leave options:
o 11 Paid Holidays Per Year
o Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale bases on years of service
o 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year
o Longevity Pay
Job Candidate Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, engineering or related field required; Master’s degree and AICP a plus
• Some experience in municipal, county or regional planning preferred but not required
• Ability to communicate with general public, professional staff and elected/appointed officials in oral/written forms.
• Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
How to Apply:
Position is open until filled. Submit by January 25, 2019 for first consideration.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, email@example.com. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221. Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.