Community and Regional Planning Director – Hickory, NC | 1.10.18

Name of Employer: WPCOG

Employer Website: www.wpcog.org

Hickory, NC

Job title: Community and Regional Planning Director

Job Details / Description

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

The Community & Regional Planning Director plans, directs, organizes and supervises and participates in the work of department staff responsible for planning, transportation, data center and environmental programs within available state and federal grant assistance or local funding. Work includes a significant amount of effort in directing and coordinating assistance to local government members by the department including contracts with local governments; work includes budget preparation and maintenance across several divisions; coordination of work efforts among these divisions; serves as planning director for member local governments as assigned and contracted. Work initiatives include setting strategic work plans, supervising the effort and participating in a wide variety of local government assistance and administration and other separate unrelated tasks. Work requires thorough knowledge of the various federal and state programs available for planning, transportation and environmental planning for the COG; staff management and leadership skills; revenue development and resource management skills; and ability to apply state of the art technology to work activities. Work is performed under the guidance of the Executive Director and reviewed for results, satisfaction of members, funding agency or local government feedback, and through observation and reports.

SALARY & BENEFITS:

The hiring range for this position is $68,657-$98,000 depending on qualifications and experience. New hires are eligible for up to a 5% increase with the successful completion of probationary period.

  • WPCOG is a member of the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees’ Retirement System. This entitles vested employees with at least five years of employment to a defined benefit at the time of retirement. Members contribute 6% of gross compensation each month. This is a before-tax deduction. Western Piedmont Council of Governments contributes an actuarially determined percentage of the gross payroll of members each month.
  • The WPCOG matches up to 1% of each employee’s salary to the employer sponsored 401k, 403b or 457 plan of their choosing (Board approved to begin approximately 7/1/2018, WPCOG will contribute 4.2% of each employee’s salary and match 4% for a total of 8.2%.
  • WPCOG pays 100% of an employee’s health and vision coverage. The current plan is a high deductible health plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Contributions to the H.S.A. are made pre-tax through payroll deduction.
  • WPCOG pays 100% of the following premiums:
    • Life Insurance – $100,000
    • Accidental Death & Dismemberment
    • Dental Insurance – Employee and Family
    • Short-Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity)
    • Long-Term Disability
  • WPCOG provides for the following payroll deduction and retirement options:
    • American Funds 403 (b) Retirement Plan
    • NC 457 Retirement Plan
    • NC 401(k) Plans
    • Local Government & State Employees’ Credit Union payroll deductions
    • Voluntary additional life insurance
  • WPCOG Provides for the following paid leave options:
    • 11 Paid Holidays Per Year
    • Annual Leave earned on a sliding scale bases on years of service
    • 12 Sick Leave Days Per Year
    • Longevity Pay

Job Candidate Qualifications

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s Degree in public administration, urban, community or regional planning, or related field
  • Significant professional experience in public sector planning and community and economic development programs, administration and management of federally funded programs
  • Considerable supervisory and administrative experience over staff
  • American Institute of Certified Planners membership is preferred
  • Or an equivalent combination of education and experience

How to Apply

Position is open until filled. Submit by February 9th, 2018 to ensure consideration.

Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and WPCOG application to Director of Administrative Services and Human Resources, Ashley Bolick, at WPCOG, P.O. Box 9026, Hickory, NC 28603. Emailing application materials is acceptable, ashley.bolick@wpcog.org. Questions should be directed to Ashley at (828) 485-4221.  Final candidates will be subject to an interview process. The WPCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

 

Skills

Posted on

January 10, 2018

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X