Name of Employer: Burke County Government
Employer Website: http://www.burkenc.org/departments/human-resources
Job title: Community Development Operations Manager
Job Details / Description
Position: Community Development Operations Manager
Department: Community Development
Salary: $41,714.88 to $64,657.46
Pay Grade: 24
Closing Date: July 14, 2017
Description of Work: Manages and supervises assigned programs and personnel within the Community Development Department to include but not limited to budget, planning, permitting, code enforcement, and special assignments. An employee in this class is responsible for professional level administrative duties involving the daily operation of the Community Development Department as it pertains to the issuance of development permits, intake and processing of code enforcement complaints, administration of the department’s budgets, special planning assignments, including recreation and trail projects and supervision of employees who assist in these roles. The employee supervises and monitors staff responsible for assisting citizens through the initial phases of the development process and continually monitors the process in an effort to increase efficiency and customer service. In addition an employee in this class is responsible for professional level administrative duties enforcing the land use, zoning, solid waste and other ordinances. Work includes considerable contact with the general public, the development community, and includes the development and implementation of public awareness programs. The employee is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and extremely hot and cold temperatures, fumes, and dust. Considerable knowledge of the planning and code enforcement field, independent judgment and initiative, and tact and courtesy are required in the performance of duties. An understanding of recreational and trails planning and implementation is desirable. Work is supervised by the Community Development Director and is evaluated based on conferences, reports and quality of products and services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are not inclusive but characteristic of the type and level of work associated with this class. Individual positions may do all or some combination of the duties as well as other related duties:
- Provides technical assistance to the general public, public officials and others on zoning and land use matters; receives, researches, investigates, and responds to complaints and alleged violations of the County zoning, land use, solid waste or related ordinances with assistance from the Senior Planner, Zoning Administrator and Environmental Compliance Officer.
- Supervises the daily work of permitting personnel and staff responsible for greeting and assisting the public; participates in hiring; trains; coaches, reviews work, and assists the Director in preparing work evaluations.
- Prepares the annual budget and assists in identifying the financial needs of the department with input from the Community Development Director, Chief Building Inspector, and Zoning Administrator.
- Monitors the budget throughout the year. Prepares contracts, budget amendments, check requests, and expenditures.
- Coordinates work with other departments as needed and required.
- Maintains records of violations and inspections and prepares necessary reports.
- Works on special projects, such as the Fonta Flora State Trail to include writing and administering grants.
- Assists the Community Development Director, Zoning Administrator, Planners, Building Inspectors and other professional staff as needed with planning, zoning, and development issues.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- General knowledge in the processes, programs and laws pertaining to planning and zoning, solid waste, and other County ordinances.
- Considerable knowledge of basic governmental and administrative frameworks involved in effective planning and development.
- Considerable knowledge of budgeting practices and requirements.
- Skill in the interpretation of codes and in application to specific situations.
- Skill in the use of computers for compiling reports, storing and retrieving data, and developing presentation material.
- Ability to supervise administrative and technical staff.
- Ability to enforce ordinances with tact and firmness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form and to make presentations.
- Ability to analyze planning and code enforcement issues, make sound judgments, and recommend solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, developers, superiors, employees, and the general public.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to examine and prepare and analyze data, to read extensively, to operate a computer, to inspect details of construction, and to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work assigned.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements: Graduation from college with a Bachelor’s Degree in planning, public administration, criminal justice or a related field and one (1) year of related experience; or an associate’s degree in a related field and an equivalent combination of experience and training
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
How to Apply
Application Process: Burke County applications can be obtained at the Human Resources office during regular business hours at the address listed above or at the following webpage: www.burkenc.org. Completed applications should provide a complete work history, including a detailed and thorough list of job duties. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Submit application by 5:00 PM on the closing date to Burke County Human Resources in order to receive consideration.