Name of Employer: City of Durham
Employer Website: http://durhamnc.gov/1473/City-Jobs
Job title: Development Coordination Supervisor
Job Details / Description
Hiring Range: $55,397.00 to $66,421.00
About the position
The position is housed within Durham’s City-County Planning Department in support of the Development Services Center (DSC). Under the direct supervision of the DSC Manager, this supervisory position leads the Development Coordination group, which is responsible for direct customer service, technology initiatives, application intake and records management, and process improvement and coordination via the Memorandum of Understanding between the DSC and Partner Work Units. The DSC is seeking a motivated, high-energy professional to serve City and County planning customers, implement technology initiatives, improve processes, and help make Durham a great place to live and do business.
About the Development Services Center
Durham’s Development Services Center is a newly-created space within Durham City Hall that provides a one-stop-shop for development services, including application intake, in-person customer service, and quick turn-around for minor building projects and planning approvals. The mission of the DSC is to improve the coordination, predictability, timeliness, and quality of customer service delivery and the development review process. DSC’ employees represent the City-County Planning, City-County Inspections, and Public Works Departments, coordinate with over 20 City and County Departments to administer over 70 different permit and/or review types.
The Development Coordination work unit is a multi-disciplinary team (planning and engineering) that:
- Assists business owners, homeowners, and practitioners in the land development industry navigating the City-County development review process;
- Coordinates development review through ongoing engagement with the many City and County Departments involved in the development review process, as identified in Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) between the DSC and its Partner Work Units;
- Identifies and implements improvements to the development review process, DSC operations, and technology components,
- Researches complex inquiries for development review departments and citizens; and
- Provides backup to the Express Services team
Job Candidate Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Five or more years of related experience
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or membership may be supplanted by a similar credential or set of credentials from a discipline closely associated with Planning, such as a North Carolina Professional Engineer license or North Carolina Multiple Level III North Carolina Building Code trade certifications
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Previous experience as a Supervisor in a multi-disciplinary environment within the Planning, Project Management, and/or Development Services fields.
- Strong communication, coaching, and problem-solving skills.
- Previous experience evaluating, testing, and deploying technology initiatives in a government setting.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in communications, leadership and/or management of a multi-disciplinary team, be intellectually curious and able to learn quickly, have a proactive mindset and approach, have a demonstrated record of process improvement and innovation, and enjoy working in highly collaborative environments, is open to feedback and learning, is willing to coach and teach others, is ethical, confident, creative, and have a positive attitude.
How to Apply
See job posting on City web site.