Name of Employer: City of Durham
Employer Website: www.durhamnc.gov
Job title: Development Services Center Technician
Job Details / Description
About the Development Services Center:
Durham’s Development Services Center is a newly-created space within Durham City Hall that provides a ‘one-stop-shop’ for development services, including application intake, in-person customer service, and quick turn-around for minor building projects and planning approvals.
The mission of the DSC is to improve the coordination, predictability, timeliness, and quality of customer service delivery and the development review process.
Durham enjoys a strong local economy, including boutique hotels, unparalleled food options, and world-class entertainment, and the Raleigh-Durham area ranked 4th on U.S. News’ list of Best Places to Live in 2016. Sustained interest and investment in Durham has led to a high volume of development activity. By centralizing services, the DSC better positions the City and County to respond to inquiries versus needing to send customers to different departments. The DSC’s 22 employees represent the City-County Planning, City-County Inspections, and Public Works Departments. DSC staff coordinates with over 20 City and County Departments to administer over 70 different permit and/or review types.
In addition to its modern physical design, the DSC is implementing new technology solutions, operational enhancements, and procedural streamlining to address increasingly complex development inquiries in Durham. The DSC is seeking a motivated, high-energy professional to serve City and County planning customers, implement technology initiatives, improve processes, and help make Durham a great place to live and do business.
About the position:
This position is housed within Durham’s City-County Planning Department. Work is physically performed within the Durham Development Services Center (DSC), and this position functions as one of the primary conduits for development-related information in Durham. The successful candidate will provide in-person planning customer service, which includes responding to customer inquiries; taking in applications and routing for review; and providing referrals.
- Review, research, analyze, and respond to customer inquiries
- Receive applications and enter information into permit database
- Process payment
- Advise customers regarding property information, existing permit information, and steps for completing new permit applications
- Refer customers to other professional staff when inquiries are time-intensive or tied to other work units
- Coordinate customer appointments
- Generate maps and other spatial data using online mapping software
- Independently research and follow up using clear communication based on the UDO
- Use technology: MS Office Suite; web-based GIS; customer resource tracker software; permit database software;
- Read and interpret property maps, site plans and plat maps
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Associate’s degree
- Three or more years of full time work experience
- Preferred qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or work experience, in the area of urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, public administration, construction management, or related field.
- AICP certification or interest obtaining AICP certification.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and web-based GIS mapping and analysis software.
- Ability to interpret plat maps
How to Apply
Closing date: Thursday, August 3.