Name of Employer: The Berkley Group
Employer Website: http://www.bgllc.net
Job title: Director of Planning
Job Details / Description
The Berkley Group seeks a qualified, self-motivated applicant to serve as the Director of Planning. The position will lead the company’s planning operations and serves as part of the company’s senior leadership team. Work includes managing the company’s planning staff and serving as a lead project manager. Performs complex professional planning and zoning related work functions, including preparing/enforcing company policies and regulations, evaluating business development opportunities, performing special planning studies, interpretation of local zoning, subdivision, and other land use ordinances; performs other related work as required. Position has extensive autonomy to exercise independent judgment and initiative in the company’s planning operations, as well as leading and implementing projects in a team environment. Regular work hours are required with routine attendance at meetings outside of regular working hours. Travel for training, business development, client projects, and other work-related tasks required.
Primary functions include:
- Regular, reliable availability necessary;
- Prepares and updates comprehensive plans, including amendments;
- Prepares draft ordinances, conducts research, maintains project records and files;
- Attends meetings as necessary and consistent with company protocol;
- Project management skills to ensure project budgets and milestones are met;
- Presentations to community groups, boards, commissions and elected bodies;
- Gathers, assimilates, interprets and analyzes data as requested;
- Undertakes a variety of special projects utilizing a wide range of professional knowledge;
- Prepares and oversees grant applications and administers approved grants; ensures compliance with grant requirements;
- Understands census and demographic data and provides analysis as requested;
- Supervises other positions as required;
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS);
- Performs other tasks as necessary.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Skills & Qualifications
Thorough knowledge of long range and current planning activities including zoning and code enforcement practices as applicable to the Commonwealth of Virginia; ability to prepare project budgets and provide fiscal analysis of proposals; ability to read and interpret local, state, and federal regulations, surveys, site plans, plats, and plans of development; ability to gather and interpret technical and statistical information and prepare technical reports; ability to establish effective working relationships with company staff, clients, state agencies, contractors, architects, land developers, elected and appointed officials, and the general public. Must be able to effectively engage and lead teams either in person or remotely with minimal oversight. Superior communications skills are required.
Education & Experience
At least 10 years of progressive experience in a professional planning setting required. Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public policy, or a field related to urban planning, community development, or public administration. Master’s degree preferred. Must have a valid drivers’ license. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and Certified Zoning Official (CZO) or Administrator (CZA) credentials preferred.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary history and three professional references to Drew Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.