Name of Employer: Urban Land Institute
Employer Website: https://uli.org/
Job title: Executive Director, ULI Triangle District Council
Job Details / Description
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and the Chair of ULI Triangle, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the district council’s program of work, including developing and executing strategies that manage the district council and Institute resources, expertise, and leadership to constructively affect local and regional development issues and land use policies.
The Executive Director will be charged with the oversight and coordination of the various activities of the district council, including programs, membership, corporate and program sponsorships, communications, public relations, and general management of operations.
The candidate must have experience and a background in the real estate field. Having an understanding of the following real estate fundamentals is important to the role:
- Land use policy and fundamentals;
- Zoning and entitlements process;
- Real estate financial modeling and feasibility;
- Market demographics;
- Understanding of development process and pricing; and
- Demonstrated familiarity with ULI and its mission.
A successful candidate will possess:
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Experience working collaboratively with a local board while having a dual reporting relationship.
- The ability to “see the big picture” and think and act in a visionary manner.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
- The ability to present to groups, manage public meetings, and serve alongside district council leadership as a “face” of the organization.
- A background working with stakeholders, including business professionals, public officials, corporate executives, and senior members of the real estate community.
- Comfort with the ambiguity that responsible land use has many vagaries.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement a program of work, budget, and a staffing plan for the district council that provides for clear outcomes and methods to measure success.
- Develop and promote strategies that direct the Triangle District Council resources, expertise, and leadership to the issues affecting land use policies through education forums, community initiatives, conferences, meetings, programs, publications, and other sources.
- Work in concert with district council leadership to advance a comprehensive sponsorship program that provides a robust, sustainable platform for staff and programs, including the support and oversight of volunteers who are working to secure sponsors.
- Implement a comprehensive membership program that engages the membership committee as well as the Young Leaders Group and other committees in efforts to maintain and enhance existing members, expand new memberships, and encourage upgraded memberships, such as from associate member to full member; provide opportunities for active member voluntary engagement in our program of work, and incorporate strategies that enhance the diversity of the membership.
- Foster and maintain key external strategic alliances with other professional, academic, public sector, and nonprofit organizations.
- Support the Chair, Management, and Governance Committees in administration, leadership development, and succession.
- Lead and engage ULI’s members in the development and execution of current strategic plan, which may include the following:
- Local “Pillar” topics that the region has identified as strategic;
- Programs and events throughout the region focused on, among other subjects, real estate trends, sustainability/smart growth, housing, infrastructure, and capital markets;
- Local Technical Advisory Program panels (“TAPs”); and
- Local member product councils (housing, technology, transportation/infrastructure, and others); and
- Lead the ULI Triangle office and staff.
Job Candidate Qualifications
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a well-regarded member of the land use and development community to expand upon the success of ULI Triangle and its strong membership base. Requirements include the following:
- 15+ years’ progressively responsible experience in local real estate and land use, community relations, and/or nonprofit administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate, urban planning or business/public administration, or related field; an advanced degree is desirable.
- ULI membership experience highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of the Triangle real estate community, ULI, and its programs is highly desired.
- Highly motivated leader who thrives in a team environment; multi-task oriented; self-motivated; and takes pride in his/her accomplishments.
- Ability to effectively manage myriad issues and to establish and meet priorities.
- Experience in the preparation and management of annual budget and financial statements; fiscally responsible.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels, including but not limited to corporate leaders, politicians, educators, public officials, etc.
- Experience recruiting, managing, developing, and leading a staff.
- Ability to plan and oversee high-quality events in support of the district council.
- Ability to grow and retain membership and sponsorship base.
- Proven track record in strategic planning and execution of sound business plans.
- Ability to communicate at all levels openly and effectively in both oral and written form.
- Highest level of honesty and integrity.
- Computer savvy, with proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Available for moderate travel throughout eastern North Carolina; periodic visits to ULI’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.; attendance at ULI’s annual Fall Meeting and Spring Council Forum; and periodic meetings with surrounding district councils.
How to Apply
Expand HR Consulting has been retained to assist ULI with this search. Please submit your résumé and letter of introduction to Erica Thomas, Senior Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “ED, ULI Triangle.” EOE/m/f/d/v.