Name of Employer: Town of Cary
Employer Website: www.townofcary.org
Job title: Facilities Planner
Job Location (City & State): Cary, NC
Job Details / Description
The Town of Cary is recruiting for an experienced and collaborative Facilities Planner to perform complex professional work in development review and in the planning, design and project management of a variety of multi-modal transportation projects.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Facilities Planning Manager.
The anticipated hiring salary range is $55,307 – $72,363 depending upon qualifications.
- Reviews rezoning applications, comprehensive plan amendments and planned development documents for compliance with PRCR Master Plan and Open Space Plan, and communicates requirements to applicants;
- Participates as an active member of the Town’s Development Review Committee, conducting detailed review and analysis of development plans and related documents for compliance with Town’s Comprehensive Plan (particularly Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Master Plan), standard specifications and details, zoning ordinances, state and federal regulations, etc., and working closely with other members of the DRC;
- Communicates regularly with developers to obtain greenway and pedestrian facility alignments and designs that meet all Town standards and specifications;
- Coordinates with other staff and negotiates with developers regarding park land dedications as needed and works with developers to complete dedications;
- Prepares monthly reports for Greenway Committee and PRCR Advisory Board regarding park land dedications and greenway construction by the development community;
- Orders and reviews appraisals, prepares recreation fund payment invoices, and tracks payments; conducts data review and analysis to set annual recreation fund payment fees;
- Track developer-built greenway construction and work with GIS Specialist to maintain current GIS data;
- Assists in preparation of grant materials and identification of possible funding sources;
- Attends Planning and Zoning Board meetings to provide staff support regarding Comprehensive Plan issues; make presentations to P&Z and Council when necessary regarding development compliance with PRCR master plan;
- Coordinates with inspections staff and permits staff on oversight and development of developer-built greenways to ensure construction to Town standards;
- Works with real estate and legal staff to draft, review, and have executed, encroachment agreements, rights of entry documents, conservation easement deeds, and interlocal agreements as necessary; coordinates with outside agencies (State, County, Duke Progress, etc.) on agreements as required; prepare staff reports;
- Provides assistance to the public, staff and developers on matters pertaining to PRCR master plan, parks and greenways planning and development as it relates to those items;
- Supports the Town’s Sidewalk Request Program;
- Supports the Town’s Bicycle Program;
- Provides staff support to the PRCR Advisory Board and Greenway Committee and at special events such as Lazy Daze and Spring Daze;
- As needed, manages professional services consulting contracts; develops and issues RFQ’s and RFP’s; leads consultant selection process; negotiates and prepares contracts; monitors contract progress, payments and performance to ensure contract compliance;
- Prepares and presents reports pertaining to technical subject matter and ordinance requirements on projects appearing before Town officials, homeowner groups and other community organizations;
- Assists in departmental planning and program management, including maintaining, updating and enforcing the Comprehensive Transportation Plan, Standard Specifications and Details Manual, Land Development Ordinance, Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Master Plan and various Standard Procedures and Town Policies;
- Participates in the preparation and administration of the department’s Capital Improvement Plan and Operating Budget;
- Performs other job-related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the philosophies, principles, practices and techniques of planning, design, and development of parks, greenways, open space, bicycle and pedestrian, and special use facilities; thorough knowledge of landscape architectural practice, including site engineering, site construction detailing; ability to routinely and consistently conduct detailed analysis of construction drawings; general knowledge of micro-computer use and operation; specific knowledge on the use of GIS; knowledge of budgeting, purchasing and bidding practices; ability to make public presentations, present recommendations effectively orally, graphically, and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors, consultants, and others related to park, greenway and special use facilities design and planning.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, urban planning, or a closely related field and considerable experience in planning or landscape architecture.
Preference will be given to candidates that have a minimum of five years of progressively complex experience in greenway and/or multi-modal transportation planning. Greenway planning and/or multi-modal transportation design and/or project management experience is highly desired. Candidates with an AICP certification and have experience writing technical reports are preferred. Must have strong organizational skills, extensive public participation experience and be able to interact with Town officials, employees and the general public. Must have excellent oral and written presentation skills and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Requires drug testing and background check (which may include criminal check, education verification and credit history review) prior to employment.
How to Apply: February 19, 2017