Name of Employer: City of Winston-Salem
Employer Website: http://cityofws.org/planning
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County, NC
Job title: GIS Project Planner
Job Details / Description
Performs skilled technical work creating maps and performing analyses using the City/County GIS; completes reports and research projects; maintains department’s web site; leads selected project assignments and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the GIS Principal Planner.
Examples of Duties:
- Obtains and compiles primary source data and transfers it to specific GIS databases, and performs analyses, creates applications, reports and/or map products based on that information in support of the department’s and other City/County department’s work.
- Designs and maintains GIS databases, applying quality control procedures to ensure accuracy.
- Maintains departmental web site.
- May meet with users to develop project requirements and then transfer requirements into design specifications used to obtain and develop GIS products/applications.
- Assists in the completion of planning documents by providing information and/or geographic information and/or products; may draft plans or reports, or sections thereof, on specific topics and develop plan recommendations;
- Creates maps or orthomaps and data in support of monthly zoning cycle, including entering metes and bounds property descriptions.
- Completes reports and researches projects; prepares recommendations to elected/appointed officials; researches existing policies, best practices, policies of peer cities, and collaboration with City/County staff or other stakeholders.
- Represents the department at various meetings with interdepartmental agencies, citizens, business interests, and elected/appointed officials; meets with stakeholder groups and meetings with elected/appointed officials; serves as staff administrator or liaison for various city/county committees; provides data to the state and US Census; –Project Planner is also responsible for keeping supervisor appraised of progress.
- Manages projects to execute the Planning Department’s key work program items; provides technical and customer support to users; assesses internal and external customer needs, maintains deadlines and milestones, facilitates meetings, researches best practices and existing conditions and presents project results to staff, the public, Planning Board and elected/appointed officials.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in Geography, Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or related field, and considerable experience with Geographic Information Systems and planning disciplines and development principles and regulations; web site maintenance experience; progressively responsible project management experience, public presentations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures
- Knowledge of fiscal and project management
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in using GIS software, specifically possessing skills in database management systems, is required
- Ability to portray and use spatial and attribute data correctly
- Ability to read and map a metes and bounds boundary description
- Must be familiar with database-derived information for proper use in data analyses
- Advanced experience in cartography and map design
- Ability to perform spatial analyses and represent data appropriately on maps
- A working understanding of programming languages and html is important
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of public planning
- Excellent writing and public presentation skills
- Advanced skills in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint software
- Skill in proofreading and performing data entry with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Respond effectively to inquiries and complaints
- Solve complex problems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers and members of the public
- Certified Geographic Information System Professional (GISP)
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or other specialized certification (Recommended)
- Valid driver’s license in the State of North Carolina
How to Apply
Apply online at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/winstonsalemnc/default.cfm
(GIS) Project Planner 207
Closes: November 7, 2019