Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP seeks a land planning professional to provide advice and consultation and work as a member of our land use and zoning team in our Raleigh office.
The position includes providing direct land use services to clients and assisting Womble Bond Dickinson attorneys in providing legal services to clients. Activities include providing strategic and tactical guidance to address client objectives and concerns during zoning or rezoning actions, as well as during comprehensive transportation planning, and project development processes. Other key responsibilities include leading rezoning efforts, conducting land use and transportation due diligence for clients and attorneys, reviewing and researching technical documents for local code compliance, interfacing with local and state government planners and decision-makers and providing other consulting services both to clients and Womble Bond Dickinson attorneys.
- Knowledge of city planning principles to include:
- Planning and development process
- Comprehensive planning, including transportation planning and project development
- Land use and zoning
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, ordinances, statutes and regulations
- Knowledge of private business or development strongly preferred
- Skills in writing, interpreting, applying, and explaining complex codes, ordinances, and regulations related to urban planning
- Strong project and time management skills with attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, particularly to local government boards, commissions, and residents
- Resourceful with publicly available geographic information systems (GIS) mapping, land-use mapping systems, and real estate/tax records
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with local government staff, officials, and the general public
- Willingness to travel in and out of state and to participate in evening government proceedings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or other related field, with an emphasis in urban or regional planning
- Four or more years of relevant planning experience including progressive leadership of projects and current, long range, and comprehensive planning, community/master plans, and public involvement
- Working knowledge of NEPA, transportation, and related laws and planning desired
- Experience in eminent domain a plus
- AICP certification strongly preferred
Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP is committed to leadership in attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce of highly talented professionals.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action / Pro Disabled and Veteran Employer.