Name of Employer: Guilford County
Job title: Land Use and Zoning Compliance Officer
Job Details / Description
$35,661.00 – $48,142.00 Annually
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs zoning code enforcement work and advises citizens of ordinance requirements and procedures.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs administrative and inspection work focusing on land use and enforcement of the County Development Ordinance. Work involves investigating land use and alleged zoning violations, discussing the legal requirements of the ordinance with individuals, and seeking voluntary compliance from violators. Judgement and initiative are required in the continuing interpretation and enforcement of ordinances and allied land use regulations. Work is performed under the general supervision of an administrative superior and is evaluated by reports, conferences, and analysis of overall results obtained.
Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigates complaints of alleged zoning violations by visiting properties and checking locations and uses of building(s) and land.
- Meets with citizens relative to land use and zoning determinations; discusses and explains zoning requirements, and alternative method(s) for compliance.
- Maintains monthly reports on the number of violations resolved and the number of cases under investigation.
- Assists with preparing for quasi-judicial decisions cases and land use determinations. Secretary in the preparation of cases for the Board of Adjustment.
- Attends Board of Adjustment meetings, as needed, to present photographs and drawings, and explains the conditions in violation cases.
- Prepares and posts public hearing notices for Planning Board, Board of County Commissioners, Joint Historic Properties Commission and Board of Adjustment.
- Interacts with other County divisions of the Planning and Development Department, and Tax Department, County Attorney’s Office, citizens and others in the performance of duties.
- May work jointly with Community Environmental Inspections Program Specialist, Inspections Division, and Public Health Department to document and resolve code enforcement and land use issues.
- Provides zoning verifications of specific properties, certifies Bona Fide Farms, and approves Home Occupation, ABC and Event permits.
- Works with Public Officer as part of the Inspections Section and/or designated representative to investigate and prepare Minimal Housing Code and Abatement of Nuisance Mobile Home Ordinance violations.
- Part of “Help Desk” rotation.
- Assists Planning section with subdivision and site plan review, as needed.
- Provides assistance with the Joint Historic Properties Commission evaluations and documentation.
- Works as part of an interdisciplinary team focused on the implementation of a new/enhanced land management software for land use, permitting, and enforcement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of county zoning regulations and ordinances, zoning investigative techniques, and building permit requirements.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of land subdivision regulations.
- Working knowledge of the laws relative to zoning enforcement.
- Working knowledge of the geographic, topographic, and socio-economic compositions of the county.
- Ability to deal courteously, tactfully, and professionally with citizens, architects, developers and others.
- Ability to research county tax and deed records and to interpret zoning and tax maps.
- Ability to interpret and explain county zoning requirements clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the various uses of mainframe and PC-based computer applications, word processing, and data base management.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school or GED and three years of experience in zoning investigations, zoning enforcement, building permits, urban planning, or related work; OR, Associate degree in related field and one year of experience in zoning investigations, zoning enforcement, building permits, urban planning, or related work.
How to Apply
Apply online at: