Name of Employer: Town of Wake Forest
Employer Website: https://www.wakeforestnc.gov/employment-opportunities.aspx
Wake Forest, NC
Job title: Part-Time Zoning Compliance Officer
Job Details / Description
The Town of Wake Forest is seeking a Part-time Zoning Compliance Officer to serve the residents of Wake Forest by ensuring compliance with all Town codes and ordinances through effective public contact and education. Work includes interpreting and explaining ordinances to the general public, contractors and owners to comply with the local rules and regulations; reviewing site and subdivision plans; construction site inspections to ensure related zoning requirements and protection measures are met; maintaining documentation and process enforcement paperwork; issuing civil penalties; and testifying at Board of Adjustment appeals, and court when necessary. Work also involves enforcing the sign ordinance. The employee is exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions of extreme temperatures, construction noise and hazards; vicious animals; and irate citizens. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Development Services Manager, and is evaluated through conferences; review of project records; adherence of work inspected to approved plans and Town specifications.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers and enforces land use ordinances and nuisance code provisions;
- Responds to nuisance complaints and conducts field inspections;
- Sends violation letters and follows up to ensure compliance;
- Ensures ordinance and code provisions are understood and applied by other staff members; Explains policies and procedures to the public;
- Maintains enforcement database;
- Applies general knowledge of zoning and code enforcement practices;
- Establishes and maintain effective working relationships building owners, contractors, banks, lawyers, other public and state agencies, associates and the public;
- Employs firmness and tact in enforcing ordinances and codes;
- Patrols the town to locate and remove illegal signs and banners and conducts random site inspections for compliance;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational support functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, crouching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, and hearing. Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, operate a computer terminal, operate a motor vehicle, perform field site inspections, and use measurement devices.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
Applicants must have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and additional course study in the area of inspections, zoning and/or land use ordinances.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina is required.
How to Apply
Human Resources Department
Town Hall, 301 S. Brooks St.
Wake Forest, NC 27587
919-435-9491 (phone) 919-435-9497 (fax)
Contact: Virginia Jones