Name of Employer: City of Charlotte
Employer Website: http://charlottenc.gov/Transportation/Pages/default.aspx
Job title: Pedestrian Program Coordinator
Job Details / Description
Salary: $71,383 – $79,315
General Summary: The City of Charlotte is one of the nation’s fastest growing communities and is currently the 17th most populated city in the nation. The City of Charlotte is considered a national leader in the “Complete Streets” movement and is committed to becoming a more walk-friendly community. The Pedestrian Program Coordinator manages the City of Charlotte’s Sidewalk and Pedestrian Safety Program. The position serves as the City’s primary pedestrian advocate, planner and facilitator in making Charlotte a more walk-friendly city. This position provides pedestrian-related design and programming expertise to advance the vision and strategies outlined in the award winning Charlotte WALKS plan.
Major Duties and Responsibilities: The mission of the Pedestrian Program Coordinator is to make Charlotte a more walkable city through 1) capital improvement projects, 2) education and outreach efforts, and 3) long-range planning and implementation.
Capital Improvements: The Sidewalk and Pedestrian Safety Program is an annual capital program that is used for construction of all types of pedestrian facilities and placemaking/pilot projects. The most recent proposed budget allocates $15M/year over the next two years for the program. This position is responsible for:
- Managing the program budget by identifying projects and tracking progress
- Meeting the City’s annual goals for building new sidewalks and pedestrian crossings.
Education and Outreach: The Pedestrian Program Manager will serve as a resource, both internally and externally, for education and engagement on pedestrian and active transportation issues. This position requires:
- The ability to work closely with residents, advocates, design teams, and elected officials.
- Management of public engagement activities for Pedestrian Program projects.
- Provide key support for a variety of other education and outreach efforts, from walkability audits, to corridor studies, to the City’s Open Streets 704 program.
Long Range Planning: The City of Charlotte is nationally known for its multi-modal planning initiatives. The Pedestrian Program Coordinator position serves a critical role in promoting quality pedestrian facilities and creating a more livable, walkable city. The position will serve a primary role in:
- Implementing the award-winning Charlotte WALKS Pedestrian Plan.
- Collaborating closely with other City programs (e.g., Bicycle Program, Vision Zero, Charlotte Placemaking Hub) to advance active transportation in the City of Charlotte.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work or degree in transportation planning, urban planning, transportation engineering or a related field, at the Bachelor level; preferably supplemented by a Masters Degree.
At least 3 years’ experience in transportation planning/engineering or a related field, with an emphasis on pedestrian-oriented design and safety.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online. Please go to the job posting at this link – http://charlottenc.gov/HR/Pages/Jobs.aspx
Click on “Available Jobs” and find “Pedestrian Program Coordinator (Transportation Planner II).” It is Job ID #501114. Applications will be accepted through the closing date listed at the link above.