Name of Employer: City of Raleigh
Employer Website: Raleighnc.gov
Job title: Planner I
Job Details / Description:
Please note: The City of Raleigh’s Development Services and Planning departments will be consolidated effective January 1, 2020. This consolidation may impact the reporting structure for this position. Details can be discussed during the interview process.
This class is the second level in a five-level Planning Series devoted to paraprofessional and professional support of municipal planning for a variety of operations and functions including strategic planning, comprehensive planning, land use, community development, parks, and operational planning. Incumbents provide professional journey-level planning work in the area of assignment.
Hiring range: $48,819.00 – $62,673.00 (Promotional range may vary)
Duties and Responsibilities
Applies professional knowledge and skills to various municipal planning problems by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Collects and analyzes demographics and other data for annual reports or specialized plans; researches use of statistics.
• Reviews planning submittals; explains planning policies and procedures. Researches, investigates, and prepares written reports and public presentations on planning policies and issues and on elements of the comprehensive plan. Researches various planning and design concepts. Coordinates production of publications, including newsletters, websites, brochures, etc.
• Updates and publishes comprehensive plan document.
• Coordinates and supports partnerships with the design and development community. Provides consultations and recommendations on various City tasks/events.
• Provides technical advice and information to City agencies and members of the public, requiring knowledge of complex City Code provisions.
• Prepares information, provides assistance, and responds to requests from the public and appointed/elected officials on property and land-use regulations.
• Assembles field data and develops preliminary sketches and plans for various projects.
• Prepares overall plans for area affected; develops schematic designs for proposed facilities or developments; prepares working drawings. Assists with special projects as requested.
Job Candidate Qualifications:
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in planning or public administration or field directly related degree to assignment and two years of related professional planning experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
Working knowledge of database software, spreadsheet software, word processing software, and GIS software.
Regular driver’s license may be required, GIS Mapping Certification preferred.
• Principles and practices of planning administration.
• Principles and practices of program administration and management.
• Principles and practices of project management.
• Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research.
• Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
• Best practices, trends and emerging technologies.
• Principles and techniques of effective oral presentations.
• Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment).
• Customer service principles.
• Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
• Modern office technology.
• Managing a project or program.
• Researching industry trends, solutions and best practices.
• Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason.
• Interpreting, monitoring and reporting financial information and statistics.
• Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
• Authoring and preparing original reports, technical documents and presentations.
• Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment).
• Providing customer service.
• Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
How to Apply:
Closes on 2/20/2020
Please apply online here.
For questions please email/visit:
City of Raleigh Human Resources Department, 222 West Hargett Street, Raleigh NC 27602