Name of Employer: City of Raleigh
Employer Website: https://raleighnc.gov/
Job Title: Planner 7
Job Details / Description:
This class is the second level in a five-level Planning Series devoted to paraprofessional and professional support of municipal planning for a variety of operations and functions including strategic planning, comprehensive planning, land use, community development, parks, and operational planning. Incumbents provide professional journey-level planning work in the area of assignment.
Hiring range: $48,819.00 – $62,673.00 (Promotional range may vary)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides planning and analytical support related to programs, projects and planning function of area of assignment; assists in managing and coordinating project/program work and support activities.
• Researches and gathers information related to planning efforts; prepares reports, maps, charts, data, presentations and/or other materials derived from research and analysis.
• Facilitates communications and project work with internal and external stakeholders; coordinates and monitors consultant work; develops work plans; monitors project status and quality of services; provides updates and recommendations to leadership.
• Prepares and reviews technical documents and correspondence which may include request for qualification/request for proposal documents, grant applications, design schematics, graphs, charts, and detailed design plan documents.
• Evaluates current programs, processes and procedures; recommends improvements; facilitates and assists in implementing new processes and approved program changes. Assists with special project administration and coordination.
• Serves as a liaison and representative of assigned area and coordinates and supports partnerships with other departments, external organizations and community groups.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
• Identifies, develops, implement and maintains processes and practices that encourage, support and promote effective, comprehensive and meaningful citizen engagement.
Position Specific Responsibilities Might Include:
Positions assigned to Land Use/Urban Planning may be responsible for:
- Providing demographic, economic and environmental research;
• Developing review case processing;
• Drafting and editing the comprehensive plan;
• Developing community surveys;
• Managing project permitting;
• Participating in project management including the RFQ/RFP process.
Job Candidate Qualifications:
Typical Qualifications Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in planning or public administration or field directly related degree to assignment and two years of related professional planning experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
Licensing/Certifications: None Required
Additional Information Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of planning administration.
• Principles and practices of program administration and management.
• Principles and practices of project management.
• Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research.
• Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
• Best practices, trends and emerging technologies.
• Principles and techniques of effective oral presentations.
• Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment).
• Customer service principles.
• Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
• Modern office technology.
• Managing a project or program.
• Researching industry trends, solutions and best practices.
• Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason.
• Interpreting, monitoring and reporting financial information and statistics.
• Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
• Authoring and preparing original reports, technical documents and presentations.
• Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment).
• Providing customer service.
• Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
ADA and Other Requirements:
Positions in this class typically require: fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work is routinely performed in an indoor, office environment.
This job classification description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) designation may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
How to Apply:
Please apply online here.
An online application is required for all City of Raleigh positions. To apply for a position, select the job title and then apply. All sections of the application must be completed. If a question does not apply to you, indicate with NA. Questions marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
For support related to the online application process please call 855-524-5627 between 9am and 9pm EST.