Name of Employer: City of Brevard
Employer Website: http://www.cityofbrevard.com/
Job title: Planner/Assistant Zoning Administrator
Job Details / Description
Position: Planner / Assistant Zoning Administrator
Salary Range: $43,803 to $65,705
This year, 2018, Brevard is celebrating its 150th anniversary. What better time to add a new employee? We are looking for someone to join our team of energetic, enthusiastic, and unique individuals.
Nestled in a quiet valley of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Brevard is a family-oriented small town with abundant cultural and natural resources. Visitors from around the world come for the shops, music, festivals, waterfalls, trails, rivers, quiet forests, and our easy-going small-town charm. If you like mountain biking, hiking, fly fishing, camping, rock climbing, or a myriad of other outdoor activities, Brevard is the place for you.
We received the status of honorable mention as a Bicycle Friendly Community and recently adopted a Bicycle Friendly Community Implementation Plan, which lays out actions to take to achieve Bronze level status. In addition to that the City Council recently updated priority maps of pedestrian and bike path infrastructure. The goal is to build and connect portions of the path which currently stand alone in the next three years.
If that isn’t enough to get you excited, think about this: downtown Brevard has a direct connection via sidewalks and bike paths to Pisgah National Forest in not one, but two locations!
With an incredible climate (average temperature of 71 degrees) and exceptional quality of life, development is booming. Be sure to bring your raincoat, too. We receive anywhere from 70-100’’ of rain annually.
We are looking for someone to join our team of four in the City’s Planning Department to help review development proposals, enforce codes, manage projects, and many other responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position include;
- Reviews and evaluates development plans; interprets and applies applicable ordinances including the Unified Development Ordinance; explains application approval process.
- Reviews permit applications; determines compliance with local zoning and subdivision ordinances; issues certificates of zoning compliance and explains decisions; utilizes various enforcement procedures.
- Participates in development project review with other City departments and outside agencies; provides comments on projects and plans.
- Assists boards with project review and approval including preparing reports, making presentations and making recommendations based on facts and applicable ordinances.
- Responds to public inquiries and complaints concerning land use issues; discusses permit requirements; prepares maps, documents and other media for review and use by other departments, outside agencies and the public.
- Conducts research on property ownership and assists with oversight of construction for infrastructure projects including easement acquisition, contract negotiation, design details and assisting with compliance with federal and state agencies; notarizes documents.
- Conducts research and prepares reports for special projects or special assignments.
- Constructs and maintains departmental databases and records; maintains files and records; uses a variety of data to provide information on City land uses and development.
- Participates in meetings and public hearings to explain recommendations on planning proposals; answers citizen and developer questions regarding planning and related issues.
- Performs related duties as required.
Job Candidate Qualification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to land use planning and related issues and zoning code enforcement; special position specific knowledge may also be required.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws, principles, theories, and practices related to modern land use planning and growth management.
- Considerable knowledge of the environmental and socio-economics implications of the planning process and statues, laws, rules, and regulations affecting these functions.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in the design and facilitation of public input processes designed to build consensus among conflicted parties.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of community and economic development and public sector planning.
- Working knowledge of public management and organization theories, principles, practices, and techniques.
- Skill in use of GIS technology.
- Skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of data, recommendations, policies, and systems and in building consensus, in collaborative problem-solving, and in conflict management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, federal, state, regional, and City officials, and the general public.
- Ability to use computer and related software applications, prepare comprehensive reports and studies and perform basic statistical analysis.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms.Physical Requirements
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, kneeling, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures, examine and work with maps, plans, charts, and detailed materials, perform visual inspections, operate a computer, and do extensive reading.
Desirable Education and Experience
Graduation from a college or university with a degree in planning, public administration or related field and experience in municipal planning, zoning administration or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree and ACIP preferred.
NC Driver’s License; Ability to obtain Certified Zoning Official and Certified Floodplain Administrator within 4 years of employment.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit a City of Brevard Employment Application to the Human Resources Department. Applications may be submitted and/or downloaded on the City’s website. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City Application. Applications will be received until the position is filled.