Name of Employer: Town of Zebulon
Employer Website: https://www.townofzebulon.org/services/administration/employment-opportunities
Job title: Planner/GIS Technician
Job Details / Description
Under the supervision of the Assistant Planning Director, performs highly responsible professional and technical level work in the field of geographic information systems, mapping, planning, zoning, and developmental plan review. Acts as a resource providing information and assistance to developers, the business community and the general public on all planning related matters. Assists the Code Enforcement Officer and Permit Technician.
Duties and Tasks
- Responsible for all aspects of GIS to include mapping, verification of data accuracy, and maintenance of database information.
- Researches and analyzes information necessary to prepare specific documents, reports, plans and maps as related to planning department.
- Assists with preparation, implementation and amendment of the Unified Development Ordinance, Comprehensive Master Plan, and Transportation Plan.
- Confers with and advises architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the general public regarding town development policies and standards.
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries, explain possible violations, suggest corrective actions to appropriate parties and facilitate solutions.
- Assists in the preparation of staff reports or components thereof for the Board of Commissioners, Planning Board, and Board of Adjustment.
- Provides technical review and coordination of plat review and approval, coordinates filing and recording of plats.
- Assists Code Enforcement and Permit Technician by researching, interpreting and analyzing zoning and ordinance questions and issues.
- Develops effective working relationships with and represents the Town to other towns, county and state agencies related to current planning tasks, properly directing requests and working towards solutions.
- Reports re-zonings and annexations to the appropriate agencies and coordinate data exchanges with Wake County, town departments and other parties as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
(This listing is intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
Job Candidate Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential functions satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representation, not an all-inclusive listing, of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- This position requires a thorough knowledge of planning and development principles.
- Working knowledge of ESRI, Energov, Adobe, Microsoft programs and similar software packages.
- Basic understanding of common construction practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Employee occasionally works outside and is subject to weather conditions.
- Must deal tactfully and courteously with the public, yet exhibit considerable firmness and fairness in administration of regulations.
- Possess significant computer skills as they relate to geographic information systems, general office functions and common office equipment and programs.
- Desirable Education and Experience1.Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, landscape architecture, GIS or a related field.
- Previous planning and GIS experience is preferred.
- Valid NC State Driver’s License.
How to Apply
For full information on the position or to apply go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/townofzebulon.
Will begin reviewing applications August 13, 2019. Position open until filled.