Name of Employer: City of Greensboro
Employer Website: www.greesboro-nc.gov
Job title: Planner
Job Details / Description
SALARY: $43,634.00 – $58,179.00 Annually
Under the direction of the Current Planning Managers of the Planning Department, this professional level position is responsible for ensuring that residential single family, two-family, multifamily, and non-residential development proposals comply with the zoning requirements of the Land Development Ordinance. This includes communicating applicable requirements, zoning information, and alternatives for compliance to ensure legislative intent is upheld while balancing current development practices and accepted planning principles. The employee in this position must possess:
- General knowledge, understanding, and application of land use planning theory and practice;
- Understanding of the NC General Statutes as they pertain to planning;
- Understanding of federal legislation and the decisions of the US Supreme Court and their impact on local land use ordinances;
- Understanding of the City’s Land Development Ordinance, other pertinent chapters of the City Code, and the application of adopted land use plans;
- Understanding of operational procedures of government boards and commissions;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, public presentations skills, and an intermediate skill level for the use of Microsoft Office software; and
- The ability to read plans, aerial photos, topographic maps and other maps/plans associated with development plan submission.
This position requires a strong emphasis on customer service, a high level of detail, independent judgment, initiative, and strong organizational skills to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously. This position is also responsible for attending and making presentations to Council appointed Boards and Commissions, which may require attendance at evening meetings. An AICP, CZO or other zoning or planning certification is preferred but will be required within one year of hire date.
This job is Non-Exempt and is subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelors degree
- 4-6 years of “related” experience working in Planning, Zoning, Public Administration or directly related field.
- Intermediate experience working with Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license.
An Ideal Candidate Would Also Possess (Preferred Qualifications):
- AICP Certification (“required” within one year of hire date)
- CZO Certification or related zoning or planning certification preferred (CZO “required” within one year of hire date)
Work Schedule: Sunday – Saturday; 7:45 am – 4:45 pm, (some evenings may be required)
How to Apply
CLOSING DATE: 09/17/18 11:59 PM
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: