Name of Employer: City of Suffolk – Planning and Community Development
Employer Website: http://www.suffolkva.us
Job title: Planner I (Current Planning)
Job Details / Description
The Department of Planning and Community Development is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Planner I. This is a full-time professional position, which is primarily responsible for performing technical review duties related to land use applications, development review, and environmental programs. Work involves review of site plans, subdivision plats, and other development project applications, ensuring compliance with City code requirements and environmental regulations, and preparation and presentation of reports to City boards and commissions. Candidates should also have knowledge of the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act, Virginia tidal wetlands regulations and other environmental laws.
Under general supervision, performs technical and professional planning and research work in the City Planning and Community Development Department. Work involves providing information and assisting the general public with various forms and applications pertaining to proper land use and zoning; reviewing such applications to determine proper classification of property; enforcing compliance with zoning ordinances and codes; and preparing technical reports in areas such as land use, housing, environmental impact, zoning code development, etc. Employee may serve as liaison to various City Boards and Commissions as deemed necessary by the Director. Employee must exercise initiative and independent judgment in ensuring compliance with land use ordinances and codes, and in completing other assigned tasks. Employee must also exercise tact and courtesy in frequent contact with property owners and the general public. Reports to the Principal Planner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Reviews site plans, subdivision plats, conditional use permits, variances, rezoning requests, etc., to determine and ensure compliance with State and local ordinances, codes and regulations pertaining to land use and zoning; prepares and mails correspondence regarding compliance with zoning codes and ordinances; prepares requests for summons and testifies in court in cases of unresolved code violations, as necessary.
- Prepares reports and gives presentations to the Planning Commission involving conditional use permit applications, rezoning requests, and subdivision variance requests.
- Handles administrative matters related to Historic Preservation planning issues.
- Provides assistance to the general public, City departments, local and state officials on planning, development and related matters; assists property owners in completing forms and applications administered by the department
- Processes Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act exception requests and development waivers.
- Performs technical site inspections of projects.
- Serves as liaison to various City Boards and Commissions as assigned by the Director, attends meetings and participates in activities of such Boards and Commissions, as appropriate.
- Operates automated office machines such as a computer, printer, print machine, copier, scale, calculator, two-way radio multi phone line.
- Plans and organizes daily job duties and establishes priorities for the completion of work.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Salary: $45,574 – $58,562 Annually
Job Candidate Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, landscape architecture, public administration, or a related field, and 1 to 2 years of experience in urban planning; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Requires a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
442 W. Washington Street, Suite 1044
Suffolk, VA 23434
Closing Date: 8/15/19 at 12:00 PM