Name of Employer: Town of Wendell
Employer Website: www.townofwendell.com/government/employment-opportunities
Job title: Planner I
Job Details / Description
POSITION: Planner 1
LOCATION: Wendell NC
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 21, 2018
DUTIES: Performs difficult journey-level to advanced journey level professional planning work for the Town.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs planning to provide coordinated guidance and management of the growth and development of the Town. Work involves processing annexation requests, managing zoning text and map amendments, facilitating quasi-judicial hearings for special use and variance requests, interpreting codes and ordinances to developers to achieve desired standards; performing site plan review; assisting citizens and developers with various issues; conducting studies for zoning, annexation or other issues; providing staff assistance to advisory boards, administering the zoning ordinance, and maintaining the GIS database for the Town. Work involves providing technical guidance to citizen boards and considerable public contact often in sensitive or emotional issues requiring judgement, firmness, and tact. The role also includes developing a favorable relationship between the Town and the community. Work is supervised by the Planning Director and is evaluated through conferences, review of work results obtained, and overall acceptance of the programs by the Town’s citizens.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Manages special use petitions, zoning text and map amendment requests, special use cases, variance requests, and annexation petitions.
- Reviews plans for compliance with land use plans, ordinances, regulations, and standards; applies development standards with developers; researches and prepares recommendations of ordinance or code amendments for board consideration; provides guidance in advising developers on the consistency of their interests with Town land use plans.
- Performs subdivision and site plan review.
- Develops, coordinates and recommends a variety of special and continuing plans related to the growth, development, and redevelopment of the Town.
- Researches and prepares planning elements necessary for decisions by management or boards regarding land use, zoning, housing, and environmental impact.
- Serves as staff to Town Commissioners, Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, and other groups when needed; assists with the coordination of technical review committee.
- Facilitates or participates in meetings, charettes, and public hearings to explain planning proposals; answers citizen questions concerning plans and problems.
- Coordinates planning activities with affected federal, state, town, regional and private agencies.
- Provides research and input into the development of ordinances, policies, and procedures for the Town and the department; drafts ordinances and plans.
- Prepares maps and performs limited spatial analysis using GIS, helps maintain GIS database for the Town.
- Represents the Town on a variety of task forces, citizen and intergovernmental groups.
Additional Job Duties
- May update Town website as needed.
- Assists with processing building permits during periods of high activity.
- Performs related duties as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of community and economic development and public sector planning including urban design, smart growth, and best practices and principles.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to the community and economic development and planning processes.
- Knowledge of the environmental and socio-economic implications of the planning process.
- Skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and planning recommendations.
- Some knowledge of the Town’s zoning, land use, and other ordinances and codes.
- Some knowledge of applicable information technology including GIS, presentation software, computer-aided design, graphics, spreadsheets, databases, and related technology.
- Some knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices.
- Skills in writing and editing materials and documents.
- Skill in meeting facilitation, listening, and collaborative conflict resolution.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, federal, state, regional, and Town officials, and the general public.
- Ability to enforce codes with firmness and tact.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and studies.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to provide leadership to committees and staff, build consensus, and work collaboratively with developers, town officials, and the community regarding development.
Desirable Education and Experience:
Graduation from a graduate program or four-year college or university with a major in planning, public administration, geography, architecture, urban design, or related field and professional experience in planning, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Prefer possession of CZO, AICP, or related certification.
How to Apply
Application available on the website or can be picked up at Town Hall. Submit your completed application, cover letter, resume, and salary history to the Town of Wendell, Attn: Human Resources Specialist, 15 E Fourth Street, Wendell, NC 27591. Applications accepted until the position is filled. Application review to begin on 12/19/18.