Employer: Town of Fuquay-Varina
Job title: Planner II – Long-Range Planning
This position provides planning- and zoning-related customer service to design professionals, contractors, developers and citizens. The Planner II will be actively involved in the collection and interpretation of physical, economic, and social statistical data needed in developing long-range plans and projects for the Town of Fuquay-Varina. This position serves a dual role within the Town’s current and long-range planning divisions, and it includes a great deal of interaction with the public and other Town departments.
- Provide technical assistance to the community and development partners related to the Town’s Land Development Ordinance, including zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Participate in comprehensive planning efforts including land use, transportation, hazard mitigation, jurisdictional, and others.
- Provide research and input into the development of ordinances, policies, and procedures.
- Utilize ArcGIS to prepare maps, charts, graphs, and other graphic presentations that illustrate study findings and various other projects.
- Review, make recommendations, and give presentations on petitions to various boards such as the Planning Board.
- Facilitate public meetings and work with citizen groups to formulate ideas and support public input processes on long-range planning efforts.
- Work collaboratively with Town Staff to solve common problems and advance organization-wide initiatives.
Hiring rate: $51,832
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in planning or related field and two years of professional planning experience; or master’s degree and one year of professional planning experience. Advanced skills in ArcGIS and related software.
- Understanding of community planning principles such as land use, zoning and subdivision, and general application of development regulation.
- Familiarity with North Carolina General Statutes, technical ordinances, and basic governmental and administrative frameworks involved in effective planning.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms and make presentations.
- Ability to analyze planning issues and recommend solutions.
- Skills in independent task completion, organization, deadline management, and attention to detail in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively utilize MS Office and development management software on a variety of platforms.