Name of Employer: Town of Rolesville
Employer Website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rolesville?
Job title: Planner II
Job Details / Description:
The Town of Rolesville, a local government municipality that is part of the Wake county government, is just 15 minutes from downtown Raleigh. The Town boasts a population of 8,100 + residents and adding more every day, according to the N&O the Town of Rolesville had a six percent increase within the last year, which is an amazing feat. With the population increasing, growth in Rolesville is expected to continue. In creating a space that is welcoming for all, the Town of Rolesville is committed to putting the citizens and community first. The Planning department is a critical aspect of growth for Rolesville and is responsible for the collaboration with partners in the community, guided growth, sustaining the bedroom community feel and natural environment that current resident’s love but at the same time designing and improving venues and spaces for the old and new residents.
The Town is looking for an experienced Planner II to continue to take the Town to new heights and create a space that will continue to attract new residents and business. The ideal candidate must exhibit the initiative to promote sound growth and development, have the ability to balance the needs of a diverse community in the changing economic environment. The position will be within the Planning department and will focus on various aspects of municipal planning, zoning, development functions; performs related work as required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists with issues such as, but not limited to, current planning, long range planning, annexation, zoning map and text amendments, code enforcement, plan review, building permit issuance, certificate of occupancy, and UDO administration
• Assists with developing, implementing, and administering planning and zoning policies, ordinances, and procedures
• Provides program and/or project management, planning and analytical support.
• Assists with the Town of Rolesville’s building inspection program, in cooperation with Wake County, including plan review, permitting, fee collection, field inspections, and certificates of occupancy issuance
• Researches issues, and prepares and presents recommendations to staff on various planning studies, including land use, rezoning, and subdivision development
• Identifies, develops, implement and maintains processes and practices that encourage, support and promote effective, comprehensive and meaningful citizen engagement. Assists in the development of long-range and strategic planning; participates in budget development, preparation, and administration.
• Assists and works with various boards and community groups as directed and attends monthly meetings of the Town of Rolesville Mayor and Board of Commissioners, Planning Board, and Board of Adjustment as needed
o Attends occasional meetings of community groups
o Presents to various boards and community groups as needed
o Gathers information if requested by a board or community group as needed
• Assists Town staff and citizens with their digital mapping needs
• Meets with potential developers to discuss the approval process for development in the Town of Rolesville
• Serves as primary for UDO/ Zoning Code Enforcement
• Researches in comparison with other municipalities in best management practice to draft the zoning polices, ordinances, and procedures
• Responds to citizen complaints, questions, and requests for information pertaining to zoning districts, yard setbacks, sign regulations; through various communication methods (face to face, telephone, and email)
• Leads the Rolesville Development review process
• Writes legal advertisements for upcoming public hearings based on the guidelines set forth in the relevant General Statutes.
• Calculates development fees based on the current fiscal year fee schedule
• Maintains a calendar for due dates and expiration dates for fees and permits
• Performs other duties as required
Job Candidate Qualifications:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Thorough knowledge of general statutes relating to municipal planning
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices pertaining to municipal planning
• Thorough knowledge of the philosophy underlying the laws and regulations pertaining to municipal planning
• Thorough knowledge of municipal planning purposes, principles, and techniques
• Thorough knowledge of emerging planning and zoning legislation
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of the framework of municipal government
• Thorough knowledge of how to deal with the public in combative situations all while remaining respectful and professional
• Good knowledge of statutes, rules, and regulations relating to community development
• Good knowledge of quantitative methods and research techniques
• Working knowledge of the current literature, trends, and developments in the field of municipal planning
• Working knowledge of the building permitting and inspection process and requirements
• Ability to develop area wide planning and development programs in accordance with modern practices and standards
• Ability to prepare and present, in a clear and concise manner, oral and written reports
• Ability to analyze complex planning problems and to present viable recommendations for their solution
Ability to prepare comprehensive master plans and to maintain such plans with technical accuracy
• Ability to deal effectively with public and community groups concerned with municipal planning
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Town officials, general public, and various groups and agencies
• Ability to enforce ordinances with tact, firmness, and fairness.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in municipal planning or closely related field
• Preferably a master’s degree in municipal planning or closely related field
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, ability to use ArcGIS 10.2 and familiarity with the geodatabase data model.
• Preferably a certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners
• Preferably a North Carolina Zoning Official Certification
• Considerable experience of an increasingly responsible nature in municipal planning and development, or other related area; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Experience sufficient to understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with 3-5 years of experience or service.
How to Apply:
The Town of Rolesville provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees, which is found on the Town’s website. The Town of Rolesville is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
Conditions of Employment:
The Town’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on all final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the Town of Rolesville. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must comply with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. The Town of Rolesville is an Equal Opportunity Provider.