Name of Employer: Town of Chapel Hill
Employer Website: www.townofchapelhill.org
Chapel Hill, NC
Job title: Planner II/Senior Planner
Job Details / Description
Development Plan Review: Conducts development plan review using Town of Chapel Hill development standards; works with staff from other Town departments and organizations as part of Technical Review Team.
Staff Support: Provides staff support to Town Advisory Boards, committees, and the Town Council.
Project Management: Manages and oversees implementation of various planning related projects according to departmental work plan and with limited supervision.
Data Research and Analysis: Gathers complex planning-related data and prepares analysis for staff review as directed by supervisor.
Report Preparation and Presentation: Evaluates data and prepares plans and reports for distribution and presentation to the Council, Advisory Boards, Town departments, and the general public.
Customer Service and Community Outreach: Provides planning information as needed to community stakeholders, development applicants, and others; engages community stakeholders and the general public in planning initiatives to share information and solicit input.
$43,627.00 – $62,170.00 Annually
Job Candidate Qualifications
An equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
- Principles and practices of planning, zoning, land use, and inspection
- Community engagement techniques
- Project management
- Federal, state, and local laws regarding land use regulation
- Microsoft Office
- Read and interpret ordinances, statutes, plans, plats, maps, blueprints, and similar documents
- Read and understand development and planning related documents, site plans, other development-related materials, technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents
- Develop and communicate complex presentations in a public setting
- Plan, organize, supervise, and carry out complex research projects effectively and simultaneously
- Use development review software
- Solve problems and make sound decisions; perform mathematical calculations
- Maintain accurate financial records and prepare reports
- Utilize a personal computer and various word processing and database software applications
- Utilize office equipment such as a calculator, copier, and facsimile machine
- Work collaboratively, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, customers, and supervisors
- Communicate effectively (orally and in writing)
- Model behavior that is consistent with our value of RESPECT
A Bachelor’s degree in City and Regional Planning or a related field such as landscape architecture, urban design, public administration, geography, or urban studies.
Three to five years of experience in planning, design, public administration, geography, urban studies, or any related field.
Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid driver’s license North Carolina issued by the state of NC and the availability of private transportation or the ability to provide transportation between job sites.
How to Apply
Close Date: 9/16/2018