Name of Employer: Town of Newport
Employer Website: http://www.townofnewport.com/
Job title: Planning and Zoning Administrator
Job Details / Description
The Town of Newport is seeking qualified professional applicants to fulfill a leadership role of Planning and Zoning Administrator. Key responsibilities include administering the Town’s planning and code enforcement functions, building codes, zoning ordinances and nuisance codes. A core function of this position shall be to conduct critical inspections of buildings and property, issuing building permits and processing applications for rezoning of property and zoning variances, and review and processing of subdivision plans within the territorial and extraterritorial jurisdiction of the Town. Inspection responsibilities include enforcement of State building codes governing construction, electrical, plumbing and mechanical as well as enforcement of local zoning and nuisance codes and ordinances. Work requires development and preparation of planning and zoning studies and recommendations for consideration by the Planning Board, the Board of Adjustment and the Town Council. Work also involves the development maintenance of the Town’s GIS system, including supervision of the technical input, verification and revision of GIS data. Considerable tact and diplomacy are essential in dealing with contractors, property owners and the general public. This position is under the general supervision of the Town Manager. The salary range for this position is $48,443 – $70,186 annually with an applicant submission window of open until filled.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of State and local building codes related to the four building construction trades minimally at the Level II certifications.
- Considerable knowledge of local land-use plans and housing and zoning ordinances.
- Considerable knowledge of modern practices and materials used in the installation, construction of buildings including electrical, plumbing and mechanical equipment, appliances and fixtures.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering related to planning and subdivision design and control.
- Working knowledge of GIS systems and software associated with the digitizing, editing, plotting, and mapping.
- Strong skills in the interpretation and application of standard building codes, housing codes and zoning ordinances and regulations.
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans and specifications accurately and the ability to apply plans and specifications to construction in progress.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, peers, architects, contractors, builders, and property owners.
- Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with contractors, property owners and the general public.
- Ability to read, compare and interpret property maps, surveys, aerial photographs and records accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain accurate records of work activities.
- Work is generally performed in a variety of work environments including exposure to extremes of heat and cold, exposure to dust, mists, fumes and chemicals including the potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling reaching, standing, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive hand and arm motions.
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds frequently; and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to perform the following: preparing and analyzing data and figures; reading maps, blueprints, construction plans and specifications, and codes and regulations; visually inspecting construction installation, and using measuring devices.
Desirable Education and Experience
College graduate preferably with a bachelor’s degree supplemented by course work in the building and construction trades and/or 5 to 10 years experience in construction or related construction inspection experience which provides the required knowledge skills and abilities; considerable experience in local government at the municipal or county level preferred.
Special Qualification Requirements
- Possession of at least Standard Level II Certificates issued by the NC
- Department of Insurance in building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire inspections.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license with acceptable driving record. Candidates for employment must pass a pre-employment drug screen and criminal records check.
How to Apply
All inquiries must include a cover letter and resume and should be directed to email@example.com c/o Christopher S. Turner, Interim Town Manager.