Name of Employer: City of Fayetteville
Employer Website: www.FayettevilleNC.gov/jobs
Job title: Planning and Zoning Division Manager
Job Details / Description
With a population of approximately 210,000, Fayetteville is the sixth largest city in North Carolina. We are the retail, service, and medical hub of the Sandhills region of southern North Carolina and home to Ft. Bragg, America’s largest Army installation, and a community steeped in history and enriched with proud tradition and military heroes. The downtown will also soon be home to a new Baseball Stadium that will house a Single A+ Minor League team of the Houston Astros. This development will also include the redevelopment of a historic hotel property into new residential and additional mixed use opportunities. Additionally, plans call for development of properties for high end apartments and a hotel. The City provides friendly service and warm hospitality that makes residents and visitors feel at home. What we are most proud of is reflected in our motto of History, Heroes, and a Hometown Feeling.
The City of Fayetteville is seeking an experienced Planning & Zoning Division Manager outstanding leadership, communication, interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills. This critical role plans, directs and manages the field operations and administrative functions of the Planning and Zoning Division. Develops, coordinates, directs and manages routine and special assignments with other City departments, public and regulatory official and City Council.
The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented, forward-thinking leader highly skilled in planning and zoning principles and practices.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Manage the daily responsibilities for planning and zoning tasks, functions and activities, directing all programs, communications, services and use of resources for the Planning and Zoning Division.
- Manage the development and implementation of Division goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establishes appropriate service and staffing levels, monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, and allocates resources accordingly.
- Ensure programs, processes and activities are in compliance with all city, state and federal laws and regulations applicable to land use planning and development, zoning, economic development and environmental principles and practices.
- Plan directs and coordinates through staff the division’s work plan, assigns projects in programmatic areas of responsibility, reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures, meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Assess and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships, identifies opportunities for improvement, directs and implements changes.
- Select, train, motivate, mentor, evaluate, and discipline, as appropriate, Planning and Zoning Division personnel.
- Oversee the development and administration of the division’s budget, approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Present recommendations and serves as a resource to the Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Appearance Commission, Historic Resources Commission, Zoning Commission, and City Council.
- Facilitate various public meetings and hearings related to the programs and activities of the Planning and Zoning Division and the various commissions.
- Manage the development of comprehensive, master, transportation and specific area development plans in consultation with other city divisions and departments, as well as developers, contractors, consultants, public officials and the general public.
- Collaborate with the County planning department.
- Represent the Planning and Zoning Division to other city departments, elected officials and outside agencies, coordinate activities with other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Attend and participates in professional meetings (NCAPA, APA, and NC Zoning Officials, etc.) to stay abreast of industry best practices as well as new planning and community development trends and innovations.
- Respond to media inquiries, City Administration and City Council concerns and issues, and community needs.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Key qualifications include:
- Minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in overseeing municipal, or similar, services, preferably in a regulatory and/or technical compliance environment with a high level of concentration in customer service, including 3 years of administrative and supervisory responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, urban design, public administration, business management, or a related field; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- American Institute of Certified Planners certification or similar.
- Proven experience in managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Proven experience in decision making regarding issues that are highly sensitive.
- Knowledge of operations, services and activities of a comprehensive municipal urban planning and zoning program including the provision of technical support to a variety of boards, committees and/or agencies.
- Knowledge of management principles, practices and techniques to analyze programs, policies and operational needs.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of modern and complex techniques and practices of building construction.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban and regional planning and zoning including emerging trends and best practices.
- Knowledge of land use law as well as planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of principles of personnel supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- High level of oral and written communication skills; excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
How to Apply
Application & Selection Process
This position is open until October 6, 2017; however, the City of Fayetteville reserves the right to close the position at any time without notice.
A number of applicants may be selected to participate in the selection process which may consist of a written questionnaire and on-site assessment center. An official offer will be made after the selected candidate’s reference checks, background check, and academic verifications have been successfully completed.
Candidates meeting minimum qualifications may view a complete job description and submit an application and resume in confidence online by visiting: http://fayettevillenc.gov/jobs