Name of Employer: Town of Fuquay-Varina
Employer Website: http://www.fuquay-varina.org
Job title: Planning Director
Job Details / Description
Originally, visitors from near and far traveled to the quaint town that is today called Fuquay-Varina seeking the healing powers of the Fuquay Mineral Spring. Today, Fuquay-Varina is one of the fastest growing communities in North Carolina. Since 2000, Fuquay-Varina has grown by 267% with a population of 31,000.
The Town is rising to meet the challenges and opportunities created by transformational growth. The following are significant projects recently completed or taking place to meet the needs of a growing population:
- Construction of a new Arts Center featuring a 296-seat theater;
- A $34 million expansion of Terrible Creek Waste Water Treatment Plant which triples the treatment capacity;
- Construction of governmental facilities projects including a new town hall and police station;
- Numerous road improvement projects are in design or construction including completion of Judd Parkway, a loop around Fuquay-Varina. Since 2010, the Town has had $45 million in roadway investment backed with $15-$20 million in federal and state grants;
- Planning and implementation of local transit services;
- A 35-acre, North Carolina Certified Shovel-Ready Industrial Park.
Proximity to employment centers, a rich quality of life and a small-town atmosphere with plenty of amenities continues to draw people to our town which owns and maintains 22 parks with more than 450 acres. Our Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources department offers a full range of programming for all ages providing opportunities to stay active. Downtown Fuquay-Varina is a North Carolina Main Street Community and boasts two beautiful downtown districts with a variety of shops, businesses, restaurants and breweries.
Fuquay-Varina has been ranked among the safest towns in North Carolina by Home Security Advisor, Alarms, National Council for Home Safety and Security and Safewise. Nerdwallet includes Fuquay-Varina on its Best Cities for Young Families in North Carolina and the 3rdBest Place in NC for home ownership.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Planning Director reports to the Assistant Town Manager and is part of the Management Team. This position requires an energetic, proactive collaborator and coordinator of people and tasks with excellent interpersonal and operation skills. Key responsibilities will be to provide oversight for functions such as land use planning, subdivision regulation, zoning enforcement, subdivision and development review and oversight, annexation process, and various public input processes. Other areas of responsibility include both short- and long-range planning and on-going and special projects to ensure appropriate guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the Town, conducting studies, performing planning duties, providing managerial and administrative guidance to the department and supervising the staff of professional planners and zoning compliance officials. The Director position requires extensive public contact and involvement in public input and outreach efforts, and requires coordination with other departments, boards, and commissions. The role also includes developing an effective relationship between the Town and the business/commercial community, and between Town and citizens. Top candidates will have a track record working effectively with top Management, Department Heads and employees.
Job Candidate Qualifications
A successful candidate will have graduated from a college or university, preferably with a master’s degree in urban planning, public administration or related field and considerable professional experience in public sector planning including supervisory and administrative experience. Preference for possession of AICP certification; or an equivalent combination of experience and education. The salary range effective July 1, 2019 is $86,123 – $137,797, with an expected hiring range of $86,123 – $111,960, depending on qualifications. There is also a very generous benefit package.
The Successful Candidate Possesses:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of rural and urban planning and skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and planning recommendations.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services and of the environmental and socioeconomic implications pertinent to the planning processes.
- Considerable knowledge of planning, building, and zoning codes, ordinances and legislation.
- Considerable knowledge of management techniques and practices including supervisory principles, budget, purchasing, and related administrative tasks.
- Considerable knowledge of fire prevention, investigation, and training.
- Skill in building consensus, in collaborative problem-solving, and in conflict management.
- Ability to analyze planning problems and to determine the data required for their solution.
- Ability to assign and coordinate work of other employees.
- Ability to organize, supervise motivate, and develop a direct a group of subordinates and perform administrative functions such as budgeting and staffing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, Federal, state, regional, and Town officials, and the general public, including making public presentations.
- Ability to direct the preparation of comprehensive reports and studies.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms.
How to Apply
To Apply, go to http://fuquay-varina.org and click on the tab “Employment Opportunities”. All applications must be submitted online. The position is opened until December 11th and applications will be reviewed the week of December 9th.