Name of Employer: Horry County
Employer Website: https://www.horrycounty.org/Employment
Job title: Planning Intern
Job Details / Description
Horry County is located along the South Carolina coast and is part of the second fastest growing metropolitan statistical area in the nation. With over 320,000 residents, it is expected to grow by more than 250,000 people by the year 2040. Horry County Planning & Zoning is seeking an intern that is interested in gaining professional planning experience in a fast paced work environment. The internship is a temporary position and will last no longer than 6 months and is capped at 400 hours. The intern will gain professional planning experience and be immersed in many aspects of our diverse and dynamic department and County.
Under supervision of a Principal Planner, the Intern will be exposed to both current and long-range planning activities. The intern will be responsible for working on projects that align with the County’s Comprehensive Plan and/or Strategic Plan and that also coincide with the intern’s interests. Throughout the internship, the Intern will become familiar with Horry County by conducting site visits, meeting with community groups and design professionals, and coordinating with various County departments and community partners. The Intern will also become familiar with the development review process and the daily activities of the department.
The Intern may be involved with the:
- Preparation of plans, research, maps, public input surveys, and presentations.
- Review of land development plans and rezoning and variance requests.
- Revising and simplifying the zoning ordinance, reviewing zoning compliances, and issuing addresses.
- Preparation of materials and attendance at Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Parks and Open Space Board, Keep Horry County Beautiful, or Board of Architectural Review and Historic Preservation meetings.
The following are examples of the types of special projects that an Intern may assist with:
- Revising or developing plans, such as the Historic Preservation Plan, Beachfront Management Plan, Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan and/or Transportation Plan.
- Evaluation of properties for inclusion on the historic register.
- Revising the sign ordinance, tree preservation and landscape ordinance, or other high priority text amendment.
- Development of a park master plan.
- Development and execution of a litter reduction education campaign or beautification project.
- Preparation of public education materials and programs.
Salary Range: $12-$15/hr
Job Candidate Qualifications
Qualified candidates must be enrolled or recently graduated from a Master’s Degree program in Urban and Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration, Architecture, Engineering, Environmental Science, or other related field. Candidates should have experience with ArcGIS and/or Adobe Creative Suite. Candidates should be able to work independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary team and have excellent oral and written communication skills. Writing and mapping samples may be requested as part of the interview process. Must be able to pass required pre-employment physical and background check.
How to Apply
Position: Planning Intern
Department: Planning & Zoning
Posting Date: 4/16/2019
Closing Date: 4/26/2019
To learn more or to apply, please visit: