Name of Employer: SEPI Engineering and Construction, Inc.
Employer Website: http://www.sepiengineering.com/careers-at-sepi/
Raleigh OR Wilmington, NC
Job title: Planning Intern
Job Details / Description
The Planning Department within SEPI Engineering & Construction, Inc. is looking for a part-time undergraduate or graduate-level student or recent graduate to perform planning-related duties as a Planning Intern in our Raleigh or Wilmington offices. The candidate will carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: GIS mapping and data collection/analysis, land use planning and environmental planning. The work schedule and scope is somewhat flexible, depending on the intern’s interests and availability. The intern will work approximately 20 hours per week. A desk, computer, software and supplies will be provided. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and work sample. The work sample can be a report, presentation, paper, map, or other deliverable that demonstrates your ability and interests.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Job Summary: To carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: GIS mapping and data collection/analysis, land use planning and environmental planning.
- Assist with research, data gathering and mapping of a variety of Geographic Information System (GIS) data using ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Assist with preparation of items for project public meetings.
- Assist with performing field reviews of project areas.
- Support planning staff with other random tasks, as needed.
- The perfect candidate will have an interest (if not experience) in land use planning and environmental impact analysis of transportation and public works projects.
- The perfect candidate may assist in the preparation of reports, studies, plans, impact analyses, permit applications and other documents.
- Conform in all respects with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, ordinances and other orders and to all company policies, procedures, and directives from supervisors.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested by management.
Machines, Tools and Equipment:
- Knowledge and experience with recent ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Operate standard office equipment (i.e., personal computer, scanning, copy machine, etc.)
Education, Training, Experience and Licensing/Certification Requirements:
Bachelor or Graduate Degree or working towards Bachelor or Graduate Degree in planning, geography, environmental science or management, public administration, or other related program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a current valid NC Driver’s License
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel
- Must be detail oriented and possess excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Must communicate well with others and have excellent phone etiquette
- Must be able to work independently and manage time wisely
- Ability to perform GIS data analysis, prepare GIS visualizations and/or experience in preparing land use, transportation and/or environmental plans is a PLUS.
- Talk, hear, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 15 pounds occasionally
- Work in indoor office environment 80% of the time.
- Moderate noise level
- Travel via automobile on occasion as needed
SEPI Engineering & Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable employees to perform their jobs.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled, but initial applications will be considered until September 15, 2017.