Name of Employer: Town of Huntersville
Employer Website: www.huntersville.org
Job title: Planning Technician
Job Details / Description
The Town of Huntersville is accepting applications for the entry level Planning Technician position. The majority of time is spent assisting the public, monitoring the permit review process, residential permit review, and providing assistance to planning staff including preparation of long range planning documents. Performs routine technical work in the field of planning under the general supervision of the Planning Director. Major duties include:
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; research information, interpret data and explain regulations to citizens; assist with inquiries pertaining to current planning.
- Route submitted development plans to appropriate review agencies (i.e. rezoning, subdivision, commercial, etc.). Coordinate submission of various review comments with appropriate staff to ensure timely processing of project proposals. Prepare permit processing data in reports.
- Review and process zoning applications for appropriate zoning requirements; interpret related zoning codes and ordinances.
- Read and interpret site plans; read and interpret zoning and subdivision codes; explain Town ordinances; advise the public concerning changes or adjustments in plans to ensure compliance.
- Perform general cashiering duties in the receipt of monies for zoning actions; perform routine record keeping activities to record data.
- Collect, and record technical data; prepare backup information for staff.
- Participate in a variety of clerical activities including records maintenance and document/plan scanning
- Assist in preparing graphics and publication layout for long range planning documents
- Update department website
Salary: Grade begins at $36,525.75 DOQ.
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Knowledge of basic principles and concepts of urban planning.
- Knowledge of basic principles of records keeping.
- Knowledge of modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment including a computer.
- Ability to learn to interpret laws underlying general plans, zoning, applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform routine technical and clerical work in the field of current planning.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Graphic skills desirable (i.e. Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, SketchUp, AutoCAD, GIS)
Desirable Education and Experience: Graduation from high school. Having some technical experiences in the field of urban planning and zoning is desirable. Graduation from college with a degree in planning or a related field is a plus.
How to Apply
CONTACT INFO: Application, cover letter and resume will be accepted at the Huntersville Planning Department Office at 105 Gilead Road, 3rd floor, or be mailed to PO Box 664, Huntersville NC, 28070 or e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Employment application can be found at: https://www.huntersville.org/155/Human-Resources
Closing Date: January 31, 2018 or until filled