Name of Employer: Mid-East Commission
Employer Website: www.mideastcom.org
Job City & State: Washington, NC
Job title: Planning Technician
Job Details / Description
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of technical services in conjunction with the planning process for local government jurisdictions, agencies and groups.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class works in the Planning Program of the Commission. Under the supervision of the Planning Director, this employee focuses on providing services related to administration of specific planning programs and ordinances. This position works closely with the public on a regular basis to provide customer service on planning issues. The position requires independence of action in carrying out much of the work.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Makes presentations to various governing boards and public groups concerning planning, zoning, demographics, and other land use matters.
- Provides services such as subdivision plat review or zoning administration and enforcement on a contractual basis to local governments.
- Provides technical assistance and information to local government staff and the public in the administration of specific planning program areas or ordinances.
- Reviews zoning permit applications to ensure compliance with requirements such as use, bulk, placement and parking ratios.
- Prepares narrative staff reports and recommendations for rezoning requests, special use permits, and variances. Prepares public and property owner notices as required.
- Prepares base maps and more detailed maps manually or by computer.
- Responds to inter‑departmental and outside requests for census and other demographic information, and maintains the data base.
- Prepares grant applications as requested by member governments.
- May represent the Commission in meetings and conferences with local, state, and federal government officials and private citizens.
- Performs related work as assigned.
SALARY GRADE 15
STARTING SALARY: $33,847 (Commensurate with qualifications)
POSITION IS FULL TIME
40 HOURS PER WEEK
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Job Candidate Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of planning methodology and statutory authority, especially as it relates to local governments.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local government programs, services, and regulations related to planning.
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions.
- Skills in geographic information systems.
- Skills in organizing and coordinating the exchange of information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Ability to prepare competitive grant applications.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- Ability to attend night meetings and transport and set up presentation materials as necessary.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Urban & Regional Planning or a related field, with training or experience in Land Use Planning and GIS Mapping preferred.
How to Apply
Applicants should complete a Mid-East Commission application. An application can be obtained from the Beaufort, Bertie, Hertford, Martin and Pitt County NCWorks Career Centers or on our website at www.mideastcom.org/Employment_opportunities.htm. Send completed Mid-East Commission application and resume to Mid-East Commission, ATTN: Planning, Economic Development, and Community Services, 1502 N Market Street, Suite A, Washington, NC 27889. Relay numbers for the hearing impaired: 1-800-735-2962 (TTY) and 1-800-735-8262 (Voice). Auxiliary aids available upon request for individuals with disabilities. The Mid-East Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Committed Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.