Name of Employer: Town of Wendell
Employer Website: www.townofwendell.com
Job Location: Wendell, NC
Job title: Planning Technician
Job Details / Description
An employee in this class performs a variety of specialized work performing technical planning support work, managing town permitting activities for the Town and providing other staff support. Work involves assisting with preparation of reports, presentation materials for meetings, and maps; processing building permits; research and data collection; and assisting the public with departmental processes and information. Employee must exhibit considerable tact, firmness and fairness in dealing with citizens, developers, and contractors. Work includes considerable public contact, requires knowledge of planning and zoning regulations, and necessitates significant organizational skills. Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated for technical knowledge and accuracy in database maintenance and preparation of materials.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Assists with daily inquiries from the public on general zoning and planning questions; answers telephone calls and assists the public.
- Manages the department’s building permit processes, including input, review, and tracking; and coordinates building permit tasks with applicants, building and fire inspectors, and Town Staff as needed.
- Logs submitted drawings and plats and reviews for basic information and accuracy; coordinates the processing of drawings and plats among Planning staff, Town departments, developers, engineers and surveyors.
- Assists prospective businesses owners and developers with procedural and technical questions and directs applicants to additional resources and agencies as needed.
- Assists in conducting planning studies and preparing reports.
- Creates a wide variety of maps for assistance in planning decisions, documentation, and presentation including corporate limits maps, zoning maps, sidewalk inventory, transportation, land use, and other maps.
- Assists in the preparation of information for various committee and public meetings; researches and prepares documents, maps, and presentation materials; copies packets and information for agendas and meetings; assists with set-ups and visual presentations; takes and prepares minutes of meetings.
- Provides various administrative support to department staff
Job Candidate Qualifications
Knowledges Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of zoning ordinances and codes and proper interpretation and application.
- Some knowledge of the principles and practices and applicable laws of public sector land use and community planning.
- Some knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to community and economic development and the planning process.
- Working knowledge of various software, hardware, and peripherals including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, GIS, and presentation software.
- Skill in preparing documents and maps with accuracy and ability to proof documents for thoroughness and accuracy.
- Ability to interpret local ordinances, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to enforce ordinances with tact and firmness.
- Ability to read building plans, tax maps and other site-related drawings.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to document and complete required records and reports.
- Ability to work effectively with public officials, member staff, employees and the general public.
Desirable Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in planning, geography, engineering, environmental studies or related field and; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of GIS preferred, but not required.
How to Apply
A full position description and application may be obtained at www.townofwendell.com. Submit cover letter, résumé and salary history to: David Bergmark, Planning Director, 15 E. Fourth Street, Wendell, N.C. 27591. EOE. Deadline for submittal is 4/17/17.