Name of Employer: City of Raleigh
Employer Website: www.raleighnc.gov
Job title: Planning & Zoning Administrator
Job Details / Description
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $67,528.00 to $96,228.00.
For position specifics please visit: http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/HumanResources/Documents/PlannerIIRecruitmentFlyer.pdf
This class is the fifth level in a five-level Planning Series devoted to paraprofessional and professional support of municipal planning for a variety of operations and functions including strategic planning, comprehensive planning, land use, community development, parks, and operational planning. Incumbents make interpretive decisions on behalf of the organization regarding the means for executing the goals established by the relevant Director subject to constraints imposed by available technology and resources. Such interpretive decisions provide context for the work to be accomplished by subordinates supervised within the units managed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is the final authority for the Unified Development Ordinance standards and application of the standards.
- Manages amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance based on issues, trends, and best practice in the planning profession.
- Manages the enforcement of the city zoning regulations and ordinances.
- Interprets the official zoning map.
- Serves as the Chief Zoning Official; makes the official city interpretation of the Unified Development Ordinance.
- Directly manages the Board of Adjustment and provides oversight to the Planning Commission and
- Assists in preparing the department budget, controlling expenditures, interviewing prospective
- employees, and training and developing staff personnel.
- Manages and directs division and department employees involved in the development of the scope,
- content, and methodology employed in conducting planning studies.
- Resolves difficult problems encountered by staff members; confers with personnel regarding planning policies and procedural problems.
- Participates in interdepartmental projects; conducts special planning and research studies.
- Works with citizens, property owners, developers and their professional consultants to foster better understanding of the code and the development
- Provides expertise and analysis to the City Council, Planning Commission, Appearance Commission, and Raleigh Citizen Advisory Councils on an as-needed
Job Candidate Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree at a four-year college or equivalent. Master’s degree highly preferred. Applicants may substitute additional relevant experience for the required
At least two years of relevant experience is required; three – to five-years of experience preferred. Applicants may substitute additional relevant education for the required experience. Project management and community outreach and engagement experience is preferred.