Name of Employer: Town of Garner
Employer Website: www.garnernc.gov
Job title: Principal Planner – Development Review
Job Details / Description
Hiring Range: $56,513.60 – $73,465.60 Annually
This position performs difficult professional work developing, coordinating and implementing the Town’s development review program and related activities and work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Planning Director. Supervision is exercised over department personnel within the development review services section.
Must be able to perform basic operational skills of stooping, standing, walking, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions;
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels;
Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring
devices, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; and
Must be able to perform light work, exerting up to 10 pounds of force frequently and up to 20
pounds of force occasionally.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Advises the Planning Director, Managers, Town Council, Board of Adjustment, Planning Commission and others on site and subdivision development issues and landscaping matters;
- Supervises staff within the development review section and provides overall management of
- section-related planning matters, including plan/permit review schedules and the Technical
- Review Committee (TRC);
- Administers the site plan, preliminary subdivision plan, sign permit, plat and building permit
- review processes;
- Reviews special use site plans and planned district master plans for compliance with the Unified
- Development Ordinance regulations and prepares written comments to the applicant’s site
- Administers the tracking, monitoring and release of land development bonds and letters of credit as well as land development surety instruments;
- Provides information to partner agencies–including Wake County Sediment & Erosion Control and
- City of Raleigh Public Utilities–citizens and developers and responds to questions regarding
- requirements for development plans;
- Coordinates TRC and other development review meetings with appropriate staff and partner
- agency members as needed;
- Assists the Planning Director in conducting pre-application conferences as needed;
- Conducts tree protection and certificate of occupancy inspections;
- Prepares and presents staff reports, with recommendations, for site plans and preliminary
- subdivision plans to be reviewed by the Planning and Appearance Commission and Town Council;
- Responds to questions from citizens regarding property and development regulations and helps quantify the potential for barriers to development;
- Attends a number of evening meetings;
- Maintains development review records and files;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Graduation from a four-year accredited college or university with a degree in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design or related field and at least five years of professional planning experience required.
A valid driver’s license is required.
AICP certification or PLA licensure is required.
At least three years of supervisory experience and a master’s degree in urban planning, landscape
architecture or related field preferred.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.garnernc.gov/jobs
900 7th Avenue
Garner, NC 27529
CLOSES: 10/27/17 at 5:00PM