Name of Employer: MN Department of Transportation
Employer Website: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/
Job title: Research Analyst Intermediate / Geographic Information System
Job Details / Description:
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) is currently hiring for a Research Analyst Intermediate – Geographic Information System (GIS) position at our Northeastern MnDOT headquarters location in Duluth, MN (District 1). Under administrative direction, you will establish and maintain a comprehensive and robust geographic information system capability in District 1 that supports the needs of all functional groups. Additional responsibilities include:
- Establishing processes and procedures for identifying, prioritizing and supporting the District’s GIS data and mapping needs;
- Maintaining various spatial and thematic databases;
- Providing analytic research to support management and functional group priorities; and
- Developing a range of cartographic products to be used for internal and external purposes.You will also participate in statewide and District GIS coordination/deployment and assist management planning efforts.
Why Work for Us
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Up to 29 paid vacation days per year
- 13 paid sick days per year
- Defined pension plan
- Paid life insurance
- Short & long-term disability available
- Training opportunities and more!
We are driven to find talented, innovative employees for Minnesota’s nationally recognized transportation system. We work to build the best team in the transportation industry to ensure that Minnesota thrives with a safe, sustainable and leading edge transportation system. You will be surrounded by a diverse community of experts, each driven by challenging work and motivated by the greater good. You will understand the impact of the work you are doing and be able to see the benefit you are providing to the citizens of Minnesota. You can set your sights high and use your strengths to grow within the organization. MnDOT offers superior health and retirement benefits as well as a solid commitment to work-life balance, which provides you the tools to thrive both at work and outside of work.
Job Candidate Qualifications
A bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Surveying, Engineering, Transportation Planning or Computer Science and one year of professional experience as described below.
Two years of professional experience demonstrating:
- Knowledge of (GIS) & computer generated cartography;
- Experience in cartographic principles and techniques including map datum, projections and coordinate systems;
- Broad technical knowledge of the inter-related elements and automation of surveying, mapping, cartography and land survey;
- Experience researching, interpreting, assisting and/or training others in cartographic techniques, the interpretation of municipal corporate boundary descriptions and other land descriptions, USGS products, aerial photography, road construction plans, highway R/W maps and land survey data;
- Written and oral communication skills to develop procedures, solicit information and provide training; and
- Experience capturing and converting geographic data through operating GIS and CAD systems.
How to Apply:
Apply by 1/11/2019
- Go to mn.gov/careers and click “External Applicant – Search for Jobs Now”.
- Using the keyword search box type in, 29160.
- Select the job title, review the posting, and then click “Apply” at the bottom of the posting to start your application.
- When prompted for your Referral Source, list “Other – APA/NC”.**Applications must be received on mn.gov/careers by 1/11/2019 to be considered**
Questions? Contact Mao Lowe, MnDOT Recruitment Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-366-3383.