Name of Employer: City of Albemarle
Employer Website: https://www.albemarlenc.gov/
Job title: Senior Planner
Job Details / Description
Performs highly skilled, professional and administrative work in the Planning and Development Services Department pertaining to land use and zoning and provides a broad scope of planning services for the City. Administers specified planning activities, performs studies, presents staff reports and supervises other staff in such endeavors as needed. Provides staff oversight and administrative assistance to various boards and commissions. Enforces the City zoning and development ordinances.
This position serves the role of Zoning Administrator for the City and department head in the absence of the Planning Director. Works under general supervision of the Planning Director.
- Provides technical assistance to the general public and other governmental agencies on planning, land use, nuisance, and related matters.
- Assists property owners and others in completing various forms and applications.
- Coordinates and maintains close working relationships with multiple city departments, county and state agencies and private entities.
- Works closely with Stanly County Central Permitting to process and approve inter-agency development coordination forms and final certificates of occupancy.
- Researches, coordinates, prepares and presents amendments to city land use and development ordinances at the request of the Planning Director.
- Researches, coordinates and prepares grant proposals for various planning and development programs and projects administered by the City; maintains files and data;
- Serves as administrator and/or secretary to the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and other boards and commissions as assigned.
- Performs research as necessary to gather and analyze statistical narrative data in preparation for the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and City Council and appears before such Boards as needed.
- Visits subdivisions and/or tracts of land under consideration of rezoning, variance, conditional use permits, etc., to determine applicability of various city ordinances;
- Administers and enforces the City watershed ordinance.
- Leads in the coordination of updates to and creation of long-range planning projects and documents such as the City’s Land Use Plan and various associated elements.
- Lead responsibility for special projects of a sensitive and comprehensive nature, and/or responsibility to direct a major complex planning project.
- Investigates zoning violations and/or nuisance complaints such as weeded lots, junk cars, sign violations, etc., and takes appropriate action to alleviate the violation.
- Takes an active role in the review of site plans, subdivisions and other development plans, ensuring compliance with City zoning ordinances and state statutes.
- Serves on other boards, panels and groups as deemed necessary by the Planning Director.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Desirable Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning or related field and a minimum of 3 years work experience in city planning, local government or other similar position providing the candidate with a background in land use, zoning, long range planning and code enforcement is required. Candidates with 5 years or more of relevant experience, additional supervisory experience and/or a Master’s Degree in Planning or related fields are preferred.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (ACIP) and/or NC Association of Zoning Officials (CZO) or the ability to obtain such certification soon after hiring is preferred.
The City of Albemarle is dedicated to providing benefits that meet the needs of our employees and their families, while being competitive and cost effective. We offer the following:
- Medical insurance for individual employees provided at 100%; competitive rates for dependent coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays (12 per year)
- Dental/vision insurance
- Membership in the North Carolina Local Government Employees’ Retirement System
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for medical and childcare expenses
- Paid Life Insurance
How to Apply
Please be sure to complete an application through the link below. Please follow the instructions on how to apply that are listed on the website. Resumes may be included with your application, but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application.