Name of Employer: City of Albemarle
Employer Website: https://www.albemarlenc.gov/home
Job title: Manager, Current Planning/Senior Planner
Job Details / Description
Type: Full Time
Salary/Pay Rate: $53,000 – $57,000 (depending on experience)
Posted Date:06/25/2019 2:25 PM
Reports To: Planning Director
Location/Hours: Albemarle, NC
Hiring Range: $53,000 – $57,000 (depending on experience)
Closing Date: Application review will begin July 19, 2019. Position is open until filled.
Manages the day-to-day operations of zoning administration and enforcement, including supervising other staff assigned to related tasks.Performs highly skilled, professional and administrative work in the Planning and Development Services Department pertaining to land use and zoning and provides a broad scope of planning services for the City. Administers specified planning activities, performs studies, presents staff reports and supervises other staff in such endeavors as needed. Provides staff oversight and administrative assistance to various boards and commissions. Enforces the City zoning and development ordinances.
This position serves the role of Zoning Administrator for the City and department head in the absence of the Planning Director. Works under general supervision of the Planning Director.
- Provides technical assistance to the general public and other governmental agencies on planning, land use, nuisance, and related matters.
- Assists property owners and others in completing various forms and applications.
- Coordinates and maintains close working relationships with multiple city departments, county and state agencies and private entities.
- Works closely with Stanly County Central Permitting to process and approve inter-agency development coordination forms and final certificates of occupancy.
- Researches, coordinates, prepares and presents amendments to city land use and development ordinances at the request of the Planning Director.
- Researches, coordinates and prepares grant proposals for various planning and development programs and projects administered by the City; maintains files and data;
- Serves as administrator and/or secretary to the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and other boards and commissions as assigned.
- Performs research as necessary to gather and analyze statistical narrative data in preparation for the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and City Council and appears before such Boards as needed.
- Visits subdivisions and/or tracts of land under consideration of rezoning, variance, conditional use permits, etc., to determine applicability of various city ordinances;
- Administers and enforces the City watershed ordinance.
- Leads in the coordination of updates to and creation of long-range planning projects and documents such as the City’s Land Use Plan and various associated elements.
- Lead responsibility for special projects of a sensitive and comprehensive nature, and/or responsibility to direct a major complex planning project.
- Investigates zoning violations and/or nuisance complaints such as weeded lots, junk cars, sign violations, etc., and takes appropriate action to alleviate the violation.
- Takes an active role in the review of site plans, subdivisions and other development plans, ensuring compliance with City zoning ordinances and state statutes.
- Serves on other boards, panels and groups as deemed necessary by the Planning Director.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Desirable Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning or related field and a minimum of 3 years work experience in city planning, local government or other similar position providing the candidate with a background in land use, zoning, long range planning and code enforcement is required. Candidates with 5 years or more of relevant experience, additional supervisory experience and/or a Master’s Degree in Planning or related fields are preferred.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (ACIP) and/or NC Association of Zoning Officials (CZO) or the ability to obtain such certification soon after hiring is preferred.
How to Apply
All qualified applicants must complete a City of Albemarle Employment Application. This can be found on the City’s website at https://www.albemarlenc.gov/departments/human-resources/employment-opportunities
Completed application may be submitted to the City Human Resources Office via email, fax, or mail.
Fax number: (704) 984-9470
Mailing address: PO Box 190, Albemarle, NC 28002