Name of Employer: Town of Apex
Employer Website: www.apexnc.org
Job title: Senior Planner
Job Details / Description
SALARY: $54,327.00 – $89,368.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 03/31/17
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
This is a re-listing of a previous advertisement. Those who have already applied are still under consideration. Therefore, it is not necessary to submit a second application. Those who wish to submit an initial application are encouraged to do so as soon as possible, as this position may close at any point without further notice.
An employee in this class performs advanced journey planning work to provide coordinated guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the Town. Work involves supervision of technician staff members; participating in the Technical Review Committee; reviewing plans for compliance with the Town’s ordinances and plans; developing and coordinating special plans related to growth, development, and redevelopment of the Town; assisting citizens and developers with various issues; providing staff assistance to Town Council and various advisory boards; and participates in, or is responsible for, drafting revisions to the Unified Development Ordinance. Work involves providing technical guidance to department staff, and considerable public contact often in sensitive or emotional issues requiring judgment, firmness, and tact. The role also includes developing a favorable relationship between the Town and the community. Work is supervised by the Principal Planner and is evaluated through conferences, review of work results obtained, and overall acceptance of the programs by the Town’s citizens.
The primary role for this position is in current development:
- Takes a lead role reviewing plans for compliance with ordinances and plans; participates in the Technical Review Committee; researches and prepares recommendations for board consideration; reviews rezoning applications and administrative, site and subdivision plans for compliance with town codes; provides considerable guidance in advising developers on the consistency of their interests with Town land use plans.
- Develops, coordinates, and recommends a variety of special and continuing plans related to the growth, development, and redevelopment of the Town.
- Serves as staff to Town Council, Planning Board, and Board of Adjustment; serves as staff to other committees, commissions, and task forces when needed; serves as staff liaison to the Board of Adjustment, preparing staff reports and minutes for a quasi-judicial public hearing.
- Participates in workshops, meetings and public hearings to explain planning proposals; answers citizen questions concerning plans and problems; makes various presentations of staff recommendations and possible scenarios.
- Supervises junior planners and/or technician staff providing mapping and program support; performs Performance Development and Review evaluations of staff; delegates assignments and tasks to junior planners, technical and/or GIS staff.
- Coordinates planning activities with affected federal, state, town, regional and private agencies; coordinates approval processes.
- Provides research and input into the development of ordinances, policies and procedures for the Town and the department.
- Provides guidance to developers and design professionals on the consistency of their interests with Town requirements.
- Performs related duties as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, regulations, zoning, land use, and other ordinances and codes.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of community and economic development and public sector planning.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to the community and economic development and planning processes.
- Thorough knowledge of the environmental and socio-economic implications of the planning process.
- Thorough knowledge of modern and effective long and short range land use and development planning principles and practices.
- Considerable skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and planning recommendations, and ability to coordinate public participation processes.
- Considerable knowledge of the application of information technology to the work of the department.
- Skill in collaborative conflict resolution.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, federal, state, regional, and Town officials, and the general public.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate large projects involving various interest groups and complete the project within established time frames.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and studies.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms and make effective public presentations.
- Ability to provide leadership to committees and staff, facilitate meetings, build consensus, and work collaboratively with developers, town officials, and the community regarding development.
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduation from a college or university with a Master’s degree in planning or related field and extensive professional experience in public sector planning; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires drug testing and background verifications including references, criminal record and driver’s license checks prior to employment.
- Possession of AICP certification.
- Must attach résumé and cover letter to application.
How to Apply
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.apexnc.org Position #17-76 SENIOR PLANNER
Open until filled