Name of Employer: Town of Fuquay-Varina
Employer Website: www.fuquayvarina.org
Job title: Senior Planner, Current Planning
Job Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Job Details / Description
The Town of Fuquay-Varina, a suburb of Raleigh, is one of the fastest growing towns in North Carolina, with an estimated population of approximately 25,000. Our population is expected to approach 35,000 by the year 2020. The Town offers a rich quality of life, with an extensive park system and a commitment to the community’s deep roots, and offers easy access to Raleigh, RTP, and Fayetteville. The Planning Department has several exciting projects currently underway, including new land use and transportation plans, and recently completed a Land Development Ordinance, all intended to move the Town forward. We welcome you to join the Planning Department’s team.
The Senior Planner – Current Planning requires advanced professional planning experience of high complexity and variety. This position often leads or is significantly involved with larger, more complex planning assignments and projects, and should possess greater independence and judgment while receiving general supervision from the Planning Director. The Senior Planner – Current Planning supervises additional members of the Planning Department Staff. This position offers the potential for future advancement.
- Performs advanced professional work related to variety of planning assignments
- Manages complex planning projects, development applications and reviews consultant proposals
- Oversight of plan review process and serve as primary point of contact for development professionals
- Reviews and processes complex development plans and amendments thereto, zoning map amendments, annexations, and other site-related applications and plans.
- Performs overall project management of current planning efforts led by the Planning Department
- Provides professional planning assistance to/and oversight of staff members of the Planning Department on varied zoning and developed-related concerns
- Works in regional program areas relating to transportation, environmental resource management, and others
- Schedules and conducts meetings with, and serves as staff to, advisory boards and specially appointed committees
- Presents reports and other findings to staff, Planning Board, and Town Board as well as regional partner agencies and organizations
- Frequent interaction with the community and development professionals
- Attends evening meetings
- Supports long-range planning efforts of the organization, including assistance with land use plan development and administration, similar assistance on other long-range planning efforts, participation in public outreach efforts, and guidance of junior staff.
- Supervises Planning Department Staff
- Advanced knowledge of the philosophies, principals, practices and techniques of urban planning
- Well-developed knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as urban design, land use, or transportation
- General knowledge and experience in development and construction processes
- Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection
- Knowledge of effective writing techniques
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, including Microsoft Office, Internet applications, GIS, and general proficiency related to technology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting planning reports and projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with elected/appointed officials or other decision-makers
- Ability to demonstrate the core value of customer service through effective community, active listening, and diplomacy in interactions with development professionals, property owners, and the general public.
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well-defined planning issues
- Group facilitation skills for use with public outreach efforts
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to provide effective supervision and management
- Ability to manage projects effectively and meet firm deadlines
Job Candidate Qualifications
The Senior Planner – Current Planning requires a master’s degree in planning or related field and four years of professional planning experience, or bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field and six years of professional planning experience. Supervisory experience is preferred. AICP Certification is preferred.
How to Apply
Closing date: February 9, 2017