Name of Employer: City of Greensboro
Employer Website: greensboro-nc.gov
Job title: Senior Planner
Job Details / Description
SALARY: $54,967.00 – $73,289.00 Annually
Under the direction of the Current Planning Managers of the Planning Department, the Senior Planner position is responsible for ensuring that physical improvements and land use changes proposed and made during site development comply with applicable ordinance requirements. This position also plays a key role in the City’s Development Service Center.
Typical duties include:
- Managing the functions of the Technical Review Committee (TRC) to ensure that development proposals properly follow the public hearing and meeting procedures for review, evaluation, consideration, and approval as per the Land Development Ordinance (LDO), City Charter, NC General Statutes, Federal Legislation, and US Supreme Court decisions. This is extremely important since the TRC decisions are subject to appeal and Planning Board review.
- Coordinates the Planning staff in Development Services and represents the Planning Director and/or Division Managers in their absence.
- Manages the functions of the Council appointed Planning Board to ensure that development proposals properly follow the public hearing and meeting procedures for review, evaluation, consideration, and approval as per the LDO, City Charter, NC General Statutes, Federal Legislation, and US Supreme Court decisions. This is extremely important since the Planning Board decisions are subject to appeal and City Council review.
- Review and approve plans/permits submitted to the TRC and Development Services to demonstrate compliance with the zoning requirements of the LDO such as land use, building setbacks, site lighting, signs, solid waste removal, lot layout, signage, and development standards for wireless communication towers, and assist other staff with zoning interpretations and administration.
- Thoroughly communicate applicable requirements after review is complete and offer alternatives for compliance, which include making interpretations of the ordinance to ensure legislative intent is upheld while balancing current development practices and accepted planning principles.
- Provide thorough and complete zoning information to developers, land owners, and City residents by providing responses to inquiries related to the provisions contained in the ordinance requiring strong customer service skills.
- Evaluates and analyzes the current procedures and policies while still meeting intent of ordinance related to best management practices and recommends needed changes as warranted.
- Makes presentations to Council appointed boards and commissions.
This job is Exempt and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 to 6 years of “related” experience in Planning, Zoning, Public Administration, or related field(s)
- Current American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) “OR” Certified Zoning Official (CZO) certification (“OR” the ability to obtain within one year of hire date)
- Advanced knowledge and use of Microsoft Office software
- Valid Driver’s License
- Master’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, Zoning or related field(s)
- 7-10 years of relevant experience related in Planning, Zoning, Public Administration or related field
- Current American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Certified Zoning Official (CZO) Certification
How to Apply
CLOSING DATE: 02/15/19 11:59 PM