Name of Employer: Town of Pittsboro
Employer Website: www.pittsboronc.gov
Job title: Senior Planner (Parks)
Job Details / Description:
The Town of Pittsboro Community Development Department is seeking a Senior Planner, a position that crafts the department’s long-range planning and policy documents and provides policy analysis and advise to department leadership. This includes responsibility to engage the public, work closely with staff from other departments and agencies, as well as elected and appointed officials, on topics across the varied fields of park development, open space preservation, natural resource protection, recreation, and community. Further, this position participates actively in high-profile citywide planning initiatives that will shape the growth and development of Pittsboro.
Pittsboro is noted for its diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for all phases of developing and updating the department’s primary planning and policy documents, including the Parks & Recreation System Plan, the Pedestrian & Bicycle Plan, and others.
• Serves as technical advisor and analyst to senior management on long-range planning, strategic planning and policy development.
• Actively participate in townwide long-range planning initiatives, contributing professional expertise on parks, natural resources, recreation and community services.
• Act as a resource for elected and appointed officials.
• Regularly present to and generally support the work of Board of Commissioners, advisory committees, including the Parks & & Recreation Advisory Board.
• Administer and maintain agreements and contracts with public agencies and private organizations.
• Facilitate large or small groups dealing with complex issues, balancing competing viewpoints and desired outcomes.
• Develop and conduct complex public engagement processes on highly visible projects.
• Write or assist others in writing budget documents, successful grant submittals or other fundraising efforts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Expert depth of knowledge about planning processes and program development in the fields of parks, recreation, natural resources, and habitat preservation.
• Knowledge of the principles, legal requirements, regulations, and laws applicable to parks, natural resources, recreation, park property acquisition and development.
• Ability to prepare and administer plans based on analysis of data, public engagement, existing policy and other influencing factors.
• Exhibit strong leadership skills with ability to build consensus with diverse groups.
• Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and groups regarding complex or controversial public policy issues or regulations.
• Demonstrated strength in writing.
• Ability to identify, write and oversee grant submittals or other funding efforts and comply with federal, state and/or local agency statute and regulation.
• Ability to develop and maintain trust-based working relationships with employees of other departments, representatives of other organizations and grant agencies, property owners, neighboring jurisdictions, Town officials, and the public.
• Ability to think conceptually; observe and evaluate trends; analyze data; draw logical conclusions and make sound decisions.
Job Candidate Qualifications:
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in land-use planning, urban planning, landscape architecture, geography, real estate, public administration, environmental studies, or a closely related field.
• A minimum of five years of experience that provides the applicant with a comprehensive knowledge of planning principles, practices, and techniques as they relate to functional areas such as parks, open space and recreation, the environment, or other related areas.
• Or any demonstrated combination of education and experience.
• Valid North Carolina driver’s license.
• Completion of a background check.
How to Apply:
Apply here or call 919- 542-4621 ext. 1104. Mail application to Town Clerk, P.O. Box 759, Pittsboro, NC 27312. Open until filled