Name of Employer: Town of Garner
Employer Website: www.garnernc.gov
Job title: Senior Planner – Transportation and Land Use
Job Details / Description
The Town of Garner is seeking an experienced Senior Planner – Transportation and Land Use. This position performs difficult professional work developing, coordinating and implementing a variety of transportation and land use planning activities and programs – coordinate with others on local implementation of Wake Transit Plan recommendations, develop and implement a formal TIA/TIS scoping and review program, coordinate with internal departments to promote bicycle and pedestrian improvements, recommend transportation projects for local funding, develop and implement a joint land use and transportation review of rezoning requests, seek grant and competitive funding dollars for local transportation projects, etc. – along with related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Planning Services Manager who heads the Planning Department’s land use and transportation services section.
HIRING RANGE: $53,768.00 – $69,888.00 Annually
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
* Advises the Planning Director and Planning Services Manager on transportation–transit, roadway, bicycle, pedestrian–and land use matters;
* Advises Town Council, Board of Adjustment, Planning Commission and others on land use and transportation-related issues;
* Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional transportation and land use planning projects, research and analysis as assigned;
* Represents the Town as the voting member of the Technical Coordinating Committee of the Capital Area Metropolitan Organization (CAMPO);
* Participates in CAMPO subcommittees and special studies as assigned;
* Manages the Garner Transportation Plan and ensures coordination with CAMPO Metropolitan Transportation Plan;
* Identifies and prepares applications for transportation grant funding as available;
* Reviews site plans and preliminary subdivision plans as part of the Technical Review Committee for compliance with transportation plans and regulations;
* Prepares and presents staff reports, with recommendations, for general and conditional rezoning cases to be reviewed by the Planning Commission and Town Council with special emphasis on the coordination of transportation and land use matters;
* Responds to questions from citizens regarding zoning regulations and transportation improvements and identify the potential for barriers to development;
* Reviews NCDOT project plans and provides comments and suggestions;
* Consults with developers to establish initial scope for required Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) studies;
* Reviews TIA studies, stays apprised of NCDOT improvement requirements as applicable, and coordinates Town responses and recommendations through to preliminary site plan/subdivision plan approval;
* Consults with officials in other local, state or federal agencies regarding land use and transportation-related issues;
* Attends a number of evening meetings;
* Performs related tasks as required.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Graduation from a four-year accredited college or university with a degree in transportation planning, urban planning, civil engineering or related field and at least three to five years of professional transportation planning and land use experience is required.
A valid driver’s license is required.
A master’s degree in urban planning or related field and AICP certification is preferred.
How to Apply
CLOSES: 9/4/17 11:59 PM Eastern
JOB NUMBER: 2017-00034