Name of Employer: Charlotte Planning, Design & Development
Employer Website: www.charlotteplanning.org
Job title: Senior Principal Planner
Job Details / Description
The Community Planning Division of the Department is seeking to fill an advanced, mid-level project management position responsible for leading planning teams and managing complex planning projects focusing on developing future land use and community design plans, policies and initiatives. Specific projects would currently include working on various elements of the Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan, as well as planning and implementing innovative and inclusive community engagement activities.
This position will also support a rezoning customer service team, participate in rezoning presubmittal meetings and contribute to rezoning case staff analyses. The work involves both functioning as a team member and serving as a team leader. Some night and weekend work is expected. Responsibilities include researching and preparing reports, ordinances and plans; customer service; innovative community engagement; meeting facilitation; presentations; managing consultant contracts; leading problem-solving initiatives, presenting planning recommendations and proposed regulations to elected officials, Planning Commission and other groups; GIS mapping and interagency/interdepartmental coordination.
Salary Range : Up to $77,000 DOQ.
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Requires a four-year degree with a specialization in urban planning or related field, with five years of thorough and relevant experience in land use planning, public administration, architecture or related field. A Master’s degree may substitute for one year of relevant experience. AICP or other certifications (AIA, PE, GISP, LEED, etc.) desirable, but not required.
- Public speaking and professional writing skills are required along with computer skills for accomplishing administrative tasks as well as for research, analysis, presentations and other planning work. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, ability to use ArcGIS 10.2 and familiarity with the geodatabase data model is required.
- Thorough knowledge of planning and land development principles and practices and an understanding and integration of concerns and disciplines into planning and regulatory projects.
- Familiarity with zoning ordinances and other development related regulations and processes is preferable.
- Experience in environmental planning and public engagement is preferred, especially as it relates to the comprehensive planning process, and graphics skills and/or 3D modeling is a plus.
- Must demonstrate initiative and self-motivation in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment.
How to Apply
All applicants must apply online at www.charmeck.org
If you need assistance completing your online application, you are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available.
Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays. Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to email@example.com.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. Some positions may require the ability to obtain a City Driving Permit. Candidates may also be required to pass a physical examination, polygraph exam, other skill evaluations and background check screens.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.