Name of Employer: City of Charlotte Planning, Design & Development
Employer Website: https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Pages/Home.aspx
Job title: Senior Principal Planner – Long Range Planning
Job Details / Description
This is an advanced mid-level project management position responsible for leading planning teams and managing planning processes/projects, particularly related to public engagement and outreach.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading and supporting key element(s) of the Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan, such as the Livable and Connected Element;
- Building and sustaining relationships in the community and across departments and agencies;
- Leading teams and managing processes and projects, as well as functioning as a team member on multiple projects/processes;
- Reviewing and commenting on land development and planning related proposals;
- Researching and preparing reports, graphics and plans;
- Collaborating with other departments on planning-related matters;
- Facilitating meetings with staff, other departments and members of the public;
- Managing consultant contracts and budgets for planning-related services;
- Representing the City’s planning position and policies among other agencies and with the public;
- Leading problem-solving initiatives involving the public and community groups;
- Initiating process and service improvements;
- Presenting planning recommendations to elected officials, Planning Commission and other groups; and
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of planning and development as well as engagement principles and practices;
- Good understanding of, and ability to integrate, a range of concerns and disciplines into planning and regulatory projects and engagement activities;
- Excellent communicator;
- Initiative and self-motivation in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment;
- Proven record of working successfully with other staff and the public; and
- Ability to work independently, exercising initiative and independent judgment.
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills, along with computer skills for accomplishing administrative tasks as well as for graphics, mapping, design, research, analysis, presentations and other planning work; and
- Experience in facilitating diverse groups of people, and incorporating their voices into the planning process.
- Familiarity with zoning ordinances and other development related regulations and processes
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
- AICP or other certifications (AIA, GISP, LEED, PE, etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, ability to use ArcGIS 10.2 and familiarity with the geodatabase model.
How to Apply
If you need assistance completing your online application, you are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available.
Kathleen D. Cornett, AICP
Community Planning Program Manager
Closes August 18, 2019