Name of Employer: Town of Mills River NC
Employer Website: www.millsriver.org
Mills River, NC
Job title: Town Planner
Job Details / Description
Mills River was established as a community in the late 1700’s and incorporated in June 2003. Mills River is 22 square miles in size, home to over 7,000 residents, and has a rich history in agriculture. In recent years, the town has experienced significant growth of its tax base with numerous economic development projects. The town is well-positioned to attract additional economic development projects with its strategic location, land availability, and low tax rate. The town administers a low density residential growth policy that maintains the rich agricultural heritage of the area and makes our community one of the most sought after for housing in the greater Asheville area. The town is seeking a candidate with the ability to administer the town’s current planning program and also lead its long range planning efforts, which includes an authorization to update the town’s comprehensive plan in-house.
Illustrative examples of work include:
- Serves as Zoning and Subdivision Administrator for the town.
- Attends all Planning Board and Board of Adjustment meetings and serves as primary staff liaison.
- Attends Town Council meetings as needed when land use issues are on agenda.
- Issues zoning permits for development projects within the town limits. Assesses appropriate fee for service as described in town fee schedule.
- Answers questions from citizens, contractors, developers, etc. pertaining to town’s development ordinances.
- Reviews site and subdivision plans for ordinance compliance.
- Works cooperatively with county building inspections and town fire marshal.
- Inspects individual properties for zoning compliance; enforces zoning compliance, to include a system of warnings and legal actions necessary to affect compliance.
- Inspects development in progress to ensure compliance with development ordinances.
- Prepares land use cases for consideration by elected and appointed boards, including: rezonings, major/commercial subdivisions, special/conditional use permits, variances, etc.
- Researches ordinance revisions and additions in regards to changes in state statutory requirements or by request of town officials.
- Researches grant opportunities that could be utilized by the town for planning/zoning purposes.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Town Manager and is evaluated through observation, review of records and reports, and in conferences. Minimum education requirements for consideration include completion of a bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, landscape architecture, or related field. A minimum of three years professional planning/zoning work experience with CZO credential is preferred. AICP or the ability to obtain the credential within a reasonable amount of time is a plus. An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be used to meet the minimum and preferred requirements. Starting salary range is $45,000-$55,000 with excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
You can email a town application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to:
Town Planner Recruitment
124 Town Center Drive
Mills River, NC 28759
Applications will be accepted for the position until filled. The first review of potential candidates is scheduled for February 20th, 2018.